Whatever happened to Hogarth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard he decided to take a minimalist approach to life and starved to death..

He is my primary dive buddy. He turns 68 later this year and still dives weekly.
Invite him to join please! And welcome.

He’s not much for the internet or forums. I’m giving a talk next month (first week of November) at Depth Perception Scuba in Tampa to a Tampa Bay Scuba club on gear configuration and its historical evolution. I will be covering some of Bill’s personal gear changes and modifications over the years as well.

Godspeed and safe diving all,
RB

He’s not much for the internet or forums. I’m giving a talk next month (first week of November) at Depth Perception Scuba in Tampa to a Tampa Bay Scuba club on gear configuration and its historical evolution. I will be covering some of Bill’s personal gear changes and modifications over the years as well.

Godspeed and safe diving all,
RB

By any chance would you be able to share some insights on here for the benefit of those who aren't able to be there for your talk :p:p

Reading through several posts from enthusiastic new and newish technical divers, one reads a lot of references to DIR and GUE methods and practices. But few or no references to the Hogathian philosophy of diving and equipment configuration. I'm not sure if this is a studied rejection of DIR's genesis, simple lack of knowledge or excellent branding on JJ's part!

I wonder if anyone can tell me -- prefer if it were someone with first-hand knowledge and some dive history -- in what ways DIR differs from Hogathian and why the divergence. I am familiar with the principles of both DIR and Hogarth and am not looking for a diatribe either for or against either one. This is not intended as a put down and I am not trying to compare the two related philosophies. I am truly interested in your opinions.

I am sure this topic has been raised before but a basic search did not turn it up and I apologise if it's stirring up already disturbed waters... well, not really. :eek:ut:

Doppler
Actually Doppler's question is a very serious one and deserves a thorough answer. Unfortunately I cannot answer him otherwise I would. So I await a comprehensive answer.

By any chance would you be able to share some insights on here for the benefit of those who aren't able to be there for your talk :p:p

It would be my pleasure. I am not trying to engage in controversy and will likely not follow up with any posts on here. I will just be sharing some cave diving early history, my personal experiences, and some personal perspective. If it is filmed, I will try to post it.

Really the only thing that I will address that might be remotely controversial is how Bill and I (and others) always run our wing inflator off the left post so that in event of a roll off, we are immediately notified by a non responsive wing inflator. This is how it was done in the WKPP in the beginning per Bill and Parker, et. Al.

Some other tidbits: Breathing the long hose was Zumrick’s (best man at my wedding and all around amazing human being) brainchild. Bill also credits Zumrick with the first backplate made out of a stop sign and the first to bring back mounted buoyancy control to doubles and cave diving. He got the idea from the At-Pack that he got while doing a surgical internship in San Diego before coming to the Navy Experimental Diving Unit in Panama City where he spent the majority of his Navy career.

I’m going to be compiling more of these interesting historical items in the months ahead. I don’t post on here often, but will try to make some of it available in the future.

When I saw Bill mentioned, I just had to let everyone know he is still as active as ever. Zumrick retired from diving in 2005 because of advancing myotonic muscular dystrophy. He and I went together on his last dive at Ginnie and it was a great honor to share that experience with him. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Zumrick and Bill for their years of friendship and a lot of great diving. I have learned more from them than they will ever know. Not many humans have brought more joy into my life than these two crotchety old guys.

Godspeed and safe diving,
RB

Actually Doppler's question is a very serious one and deserves a thorough answer. Unfortunately I cannot answer him otherwise I would. So I await a comprehensive answer.
Have Doppler PM me and I will give him my email address. I am happy to answer his questions. I would rather not do so publicly because of the often touchy and controversial discussion this can evoke publicly.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom