What would you tell your 20-30 year old self?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Intensity in life feels important but actually, contentment is the big win. Any decision that takes you further from contentment is a bad decision, no matter how otherwise-important it may seem at the time.

The big-picture view of life is very liberating and clarifying. Hang in there and try not to do dumb stuff until you can see more of it. Especially in relationships. :bonk:

Oh, and that habit you have of planning for the future financially? WOW, is that going to pay off! Keep doing that. Do NOT listen to friends who are living on credit and saying you're not living enough for today.

Let's see, what I wish somebody had told me in my 20s and 30s?

1) Spend less than you make
2) Never listen to anything a democrat has to tell you
3) Marry someone better than yourself
4) Travel
5) If you want to be able to retire early, stop working for others and work for yourself
6) Be kind to everyone
7) Money does buy happiness it's been proven scientifically
8) Help those unable to help themselves
9 ) Be a sponge, never stop learning
10) Happiness is a choice

Shoot, I eventually figured them all out myself anyways, and that was and is the best part of living

Buy as much Berkshire Hathaway Class A stock at $410 in Nov. 1980 as you can afford.

Hold onto it no matter what. Continue buying at $450 later in the year.

Sell it last Tuesday at $207,340 per Share. :D

Retire and buy a small island near good diving.

Buy Warren lunch...

Not much other than "steady the course".

I am sure I have learned lots of things in the last 30 years, but I believe my attitude and outlook on life was already well formed in my late teens. I was an independent (immature) "adult" at the age of 17. My value system was already established by my farmer parents. I believed I was capable of controlling my own destiny. I also understood there would be limits. I was not the center of the universe, but my destiny was in my control.

From an early age, my rules were pretty simple:
- look out for number 1 (me!)
- there is no such thing as a silver bullet
- life is a wheel - what goes around comes around - don't sh!t on anyone

I do not remember who / when I was challenged with "How have YOU been treating life lately?" but I have always remembered the connotation of the question. It was not about how life was treating me.

My life experiences have exceeded my wildest dreams. I am very satisfied.

Back
Top Bottom