What would you tell your 20-30 year old self?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Save money even if it's only $5/week. Start now.
Travel--as much as you can. It's a lasting experience and worth every dime.
Be very selective about the people you have an intimate relationship with (you know what I'm talking about), Don't give it up to just anybody.
If you don't like your job, get out of it and find something you love to do (after all the traveling of course).

I hear you Bratface but my evil twin is saying "considering what I know now about my life, to my 30 year old self, give it up more often, seek it out, enjoy, protect but don't feel guilty". :wink:

Never volunteer. Let the FNG do it.

No matter how hot she is, it will hurt later.

-- Oh, did I ever learn this the hard way, haha, best bullet point advice yet.

Here are a few of my own:
=================

. Most charities are a scam. Pure money games. Connect with people who have pure hearts and noble altruistic intentions - as far as community service is concerned and help them directly. When in doubt, write a cheque directly to those in need.

. All religion is a sham. Another set of pure money games. Read and ponder the story books; yet authentic spirituality is in the experience of discovery (i.e. scuba diving, sky diving, travel, driving long distances and going off the beaten path). You will truly be amazed at what you discover in terms of people, items and events. Awakening begins with forgiving yourself, liking yourself, and learning to love yourself - FIRST. There may be some belief purging and mental reprogramming, and it may be challenging; yet once established with beliefs that empower you and thoughts of your own best interest in mind, it will all be worth the effort. All else falls into place after that... once you realise you are a divine being having an earthly human body experience. All the guidance and power you need for you to move forward in that which most excites you, originates from within.

. Politics, all of it, is bullsh@te. forget about voting and siding with one party vs another. Its all for someone to gain access to the cashflow. Focus on what interests you; do not bother with which the "herd" concerns itself. Forget about reading newspapers or watching TV. Put your focus, attention, effort and invest time in that which provides passionate reaction and attraction. Do not worry about what is to become of those pursuits that excite you; follow your heart, and use your head to discern which is the better of any set of choices at the moment.

. Get off sugar; refined and HFCS. You will notice mental, emotional and physical improvement once the cravings subside.

. Stop concerning yourself with what others think; What they think and their opinion of you is not any of your business. If your presence is not celebrated, then give the gift of your absence.

. All satisfying outcomes begin with a deep passionate, authentic desire; which are nurtured with continual focus upon the vision; not concerning oneself with the "how", only on the what, why, being flexible on the who, where, when... and each day doing at least one thing which brings oneself closer to the end result.

My 20 year old self knew politics was bullsh!t. I travelled a ton. I saved money (slept in the Honda Civic a lot--no motels). Don't know what else to say--I was just great.

LOL Tom. My 20 year old self had a fully furnished apartment, a good job and spent all my money snow skiing and socializing. My 20 year old self was great! :)

My 30 year old self was a home owner with a great job, started saving and spent the rest snow skiing and socializing.

And so on and so on. :wink:

Oh, I have no regrets and I never said anything about feeling guilty. If everything seems right, when the opportunity knocks, don't say "who's there". But I am serious about saving money.

Money is not the most important thing in life, spend more time with people you love,they not going to live forever

Learn to dive.
It's lust not love. Move on.
Don't trade the jeep for the trans am. It's not that good of a deal.
Get up when the alarm goes off and get to work. They don't care if you're not that productive, they just want you to show up.
Save the extra cash, don't spend it on 12 yr old scotch. You're too young to appreciate it anyway.
Look for another job while you have the one you hate now. Don't wait til you're so disgusted with it that you screw up and get fired.

Three things I learned too late, but now live by. (Number 1 I attribute to Walter Mosley, from his father, Number 2 from Oliver Stone from his. Number 3 is all mine.)

1. Every day, you have to do something you don't want to do; get used to it.

2. You have two obligations in this life: pay the rent, and do something you love.

3. That very attractive piece of a$$ may be attached to a not so nice person. Is it worth it?

Back
Top Bottom