What would you like added ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King,
Other chapters are a great idea. I really think it would be great if some of us could plan on meeting and diving together someday.
However, if that is not possible maybe we can have a spot to put pictures of ourselves so we can put a face to a screen name.
You know a members page from all around the world with our smiling faces on it!
Just my 2cents and like Gozu, I'm running out of money! (loved that line girl) Ha!
:sunny:

I am only coming along if don and mario show up in their gold lamé and leopard skin wetsuits (pout) AND mario should offer, along with scuba instruction, beauty tips:proper makeup techniques for diving wrecks, diving coral etc.

KN, I like Jon's idea about local dives on long weekends and whatnot for people in the area, and a more major trip once a year which would hopefully include members from other continents. That would involve the usual hassle of achieving consensus on dates and destinations, but can be done.

Jon has flown to London for the weekend, so in his absence I am appointing him chairman hehehe when he is not around to defend himself...

Incidentally, I appreciate what you all are doing here!

Natasha, great idea with the pics. It is much more pleasant to put a face to a post! This seems to be a well integrated group with a common passion, let us encourage it as far as we can:)

gozu

Natasha,

Originally posted by Natasha

However, if that is not possible maybe we can have a spot to put pictures of ourselves so we can put a face to a screen name.

Would this apply to Warhammer also?

Or "so we can put a (fill in the blank) to a screen name."

Just wondering.

"A wasted mind is a terrible thing"

ID

IDon,
Maybe Warhammer could show his 'other side' this time. And 'Say Cheese'. Oh wait, cheese doesn't seem to agree with him.....
:sunny:

Originally posted by gozumutti

KN, I like Jon's idea about local dives on long weekends and whatnot for people in the area, and a more major trip once a year which would hopefully include members from other continents. That would involve the usual hassle of achieving consensus on dates and destinations, but can be done.

Jon has flown to London for the weekend, so in his absence I am appointing him chairman hehehe when he is not around to defend himself...

gozu

AARGH. I leave you alone for 3 days and look what you do!!!!!

For the rest of you.........
Gozu and I had a long phone conversation last week, and we started floating some ideas about as to what sort of things would be good to get divers together.

We came up with the question:- is it better to have fewer longer and more expensive trips, or more shorter trips with some longer trips?

If we are going to be a real club, then, it is probably better if we do more diving rather than less, and we suggested that organising long weekends might be a good way of getting more people involved, plus, as there are quite a few students round here (Haggis, Scubababy, She Who Must Be Obeyed etc.....) so arranging something that they can go on as well I think would be appreciated.

If I remember, the idea floated was to have semi regular long weekends, plus, one or two longer trips a year as Gozu mentioned above, and then mebe every two years or so arrange a BIG trip (eg scapa, or somewhere for ALL the scubaboard members).

As for club structure, (This is only my suggestion) we need two parts, administrative, and diving/safety. This could probably work along the lines of

Diving officer - the most experienced person, who has overall 'responsibility' to make sure that diving is done in a safe manner - makes sure when a trip is arranged that all basic safety guidelines have been obeyed, and to remind people about emergency action plans etc.. (perhaps best described as some-one who 'keeps an eye on things')

Chairman / rest of committee - to actually organise things!

I have just suggested this, because this allows us to use people to organise things who have lower levels of qualification, but higher levels of enthusiasm! (there are less of us on the board here from europe, so we have to use all the organisational skills we have!)

Anyway, Just .02

Jon T

PS Gozu - Why do I have to be chairman? Why not you? I could do something like Diving Officer instead! (which would probably be a harder job!)

Dr. Jon

Touché!! You got me, death thrust, on all levels....:D a proper revenge for having decided to have you do all the work hehehe

It doesn't matter, I will help where I can. Most of the dive trips will be achieved by consensus in any case. I assume that an informal approach will suffice, as there are so few of us (at least right now).

People will bat ideas around on the board, some will take shape and voilà, we have a diving weekend, with some few administrative details such as who does the bookings etc...and that can be on a rotating basis (whoever is closest, has connections, has time for arranging that particular trip etc.)

This means I have just volunteered ALL of us hehehe...

Incidentally, I approve of arranging things so that the less financially potent students can also have a share in things. Money, distance and exotic destinations are not requisite for having a good time and getting into the water together for a weekend.

My £0.01368

... and to KN and all of you who recently restructured the Board, it looks great and I truly appreciate all the effort you folks are putting into it.

*gozu thinks it needs to be said and not taken for granted*

Originally posted by gozumutti
*gozu thinks it needs to be said and not taken for granted*

Jon T thinks the same, but hadn't found anywhere really to say it.

Jon T

Plan a trip through an airport that is a large international hub, not London, (Frankfurt? Dubai?) for an Asian trip. By the way, from Frankfurt there are direct flights to the Maldives. (I can get two weeks free in October, hint hint). Although, I'll schlept anywhere for world class diving. So will my wife, if she isn't pregnant.

Pick a central hub, my $.005 (I'll accept a quarter vote being a newbie to the whole thing).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom