What would you do??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love the reactions to my previous post. Perhaps I was overly stern in the way I phrased it. However, the fact remains that a lack of basic skill could possibly endanger themselves or another diver. All divers should be fully away of their skills and limitations. If not, then do a few shallow shore dives or take a refresher course at the resort before getting on the boat. It shows a sense responsibility and respect toward the other divers.

If not, then do a few shallow shore dives or take a refresher course at the resort before getting on the boat. It shows a sense responsibility and respect toward the other divers.

Shallow shore dives may not be an option. For example in the Keys, unless they go to Jules, Shallow shore dives are not a reasonable option.

Probably should hire a DM/guide for dive 1 or 2.

I for one don't choose to make a judgement on whether or not someone will die during their dive 'cause they can't remember if their console is on the left or the right. If you choose to make that distinction, well good on you. As long as you're not a condesending pr**k about it and keep it to yourself on the boat, then that's your opinion and your welcome to it. I'll help the poor sod out and hope he/she enjoys their outing/vacation. If they expire while under the sea, I'll try to sleep at night knowing they were a consenting adult making a reasoned decision to hop in the drink with the knowledge they possess after showing their proper certifications and signing the appropriate paperwork prior to boarding the boat. Safe and happy diving & if you struggle rethreading a cam band, I'll help if you ask. :)

Take the PADI Zombie Apocalypse Diver specialty dive cert (yes, that's a real thing!). One of the skills is rethreading a cam band under water.

This discussion has caused me to remember an exactly opposite experience. When diving in COZ, the boat crew wanted to do everything - unfortunately when placing both my and my daughter's BCs on the tank, they failed to fasten the lower cam band on both tanks! It is a good thing I do know how to check my own gear (and my dive buddy's). Perhaps only the top band would have held the tank - perhaps not. During the SI, we both decided to do our own tank swap!

This discussion has caused me to remember an exactly opposite experience. When diving in COZ, the boat crew wanted to do everything - unfortunately when placing both my and my daughter's BCs on the tank, they failed to fasten the lower cam band on both tanks!

I've seen complaints about crews flat-pinching wings and breaking "not a lift handle" WAI transmitters on this board, too. I'm not entirely sure I'd let them mess with my stuff, at least not on a first date.

You travel to a foreign country for a dive trip. The dive shop you choose is of good repute, and asks about diving history, last dive, and checks a C-card.

On day two on the boat, while checking your gear, the diver next to you says "I dont remember how to check all this. They normally do it for me."

What would you do?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Help/teach them.

R..

I would have said: "Hey, there's the divemaster over there--let's ask him for help." I would then stay there and assist or encourage to whatever extent seemed appropriate. Divemasters ARE there to help. New divers and those who have always had a divemaster proactively assist them DO forget what to do. All seems quite typical to me for a vacation dive trip. I am assuming this was not some sort of unusual scenario in which there was no divemaster on the boat.

In fact, I've been in a similar situation.

It was on a boat on Mexico. I was buddied up with a young American man who had just finished his OW training. (and before a bunch of people chime in that they won't dive with noobs when they're paying for it and blah blah blah... I honestly and truly don't mind. Some of teh best dives I can remember were with people who were just learning).

Moving along. The young man in my story was next to me on deck and had trouble getting his regulator on the tank. After a few min he asked me for help and admitted that his instructor had always put his gear together. In PADI this is a standards violation but in whatever agency he learned with, apparently not. I showed him what to do, just as I said I would in the post above, and then gave him an elbow to the ribs and said, "if you get any further away from me than that during the dive, I'll find you and kill you myself".

LOL. He was stuck to me like velcro.

R..

I've seen complaints about crews flat-pinching wings and breaking "not a lift handle" WAI transmitters on this board, too. I'm not entirely sure I'd let them mess with my stuff, at least not on a first date.

Got a pinch-flat in May (2015) in Fiji ... the dive boat crew insisted on putting my gear together even after I'd told them repeatedly to just let me do it. Before I could even board the boat they'd put a tank on my rig and slammed it into a metal tank holder, putting a nice hole in the wing when it got trapped between the holder and the tank. I was pretty pissed about it, especially because I was in a place where there was precious little resource to fix it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As someone who primarily dives with instabuddies I pretty much treat every dive as a "solo with buddy" dive. That's not to say I avoid my buddy or disappear, quite the contrary, I just don't expect them to be of any help to me if/when the **** hits the fan.

In my experience, luckily, this hasn't happened. If/when it does, I'll offer to help, offer to be their buddy (if not already so assigned) and adjust my dive plans accordingly. Any dive is a good dive, in my opinion, so expectations and goals can change on a whim for me. I'd rather make a new friend and ensure we both come back home safely than be a hard-nose about my own dive expectations and possibly ruin everyone's day (any accident/incident can potentially do so).

I'm new. I keep as active as I can but the reality is we all fall on times where we aren't prepared for the task at hand. If it's woefully unsafe for the diver to do the dive, then we call it and enjoy the day on the surface. If not, we adjust our expectations and have a fun dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom