What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stas

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I jsut bought a used dui cf200 with a neorene neck seal. The suit is great in general (did my first dives with it this weekend) but there is one problem. The neoprene neck seal is a little to large for me. By that, I mean that the oppening is to big. From what I read and what my lds told me, my options are:
1)Have them (or someone in general) Alter the exsiting neoprene seal to make it smaller. That will cost $25 if I get it done by them.

2)Replace it with a new latex seal. That will cost $80 if done by them.

3)Buy an Apollo bio neck seal. That will cost about $. I know this thing accelerates the breakdown of latex seals. Does anyone know how it interacts with neoprene?

4)Get something like a neorene collar to fatten/thicken my neck. I don't know where to get that so I don't know how much that would cost.

Which of these solutions (or some other solution) would you recomend. By the way, even though I put prices in, positive results are much more important so price is not really an issue (with in reasonable limits).
Thanks, Stas

SwimsWithSharks:
If so, I would go that direction. The zip seals are really easy to replace on the fly and could help save a trip. Just an idea.
yup, i agree zip seals are the way to go if it is an option!!!!

Neoprene seals can easily be made smaller. Just make a "V" cut the appropriate size and then glue the edges back together with neoprene cement. When using neoprene cement for a repair such as this you need to coat both surfaces that are to be joined with cement. Let it dry for ten to fifteen minutes. Do it again. Coat the edges a third time and let it set for ten minutes and then press together. Don't use it for 12 to 24 hours; let the glue cure to reach maximum strength. The joint will be at least as strong as the rest of the neoprene.

If money is an issue then pay the 25 bucks to have them altered. That's a great price!

If it isn't an issue, then put those zip seals on!

Hi,
Thanks for the quick replies.
Swims and Jim,the neck zip seal is a theoretical option that I don't want. I tried several suits with neck zip seals and I feel that they (DUI) have not worked out the dinamics on them yet. I dont like the siffnes of that ring nor do I like it pressing into my shoulders. However, I love the wrist zip seals. I have both dry zip gloves and the regular wrist zip seals and the ability to chose wich one I want/need based on the tempreture is great.
Short of zip seals, would you recomend switching to the regular latex seals?

Captain, thanks for the instructions. You would recomend trying to decrease the size of the current seal opening before trying anything else?

I'd say that if you like neoprene seals keep it and have it made smaller. If you want to move to a latex sea then you have two ways to go. Either a straight replacement or have DUI install a zip seal. The second option is expensive but makes the seal field repairable.

Some people don't like the zip seal as they make the suit less flexible in that area. Also if your head is large (size XL hat size) you may not be able to use a zip seal. The folks at DUI told me my head's to big around for a zipseal.

ChrisA:
... The folks at DUI told me my head's to big around for a zipseal.

I'm not going to touch that one.....:05: Just kidding, Chris.

Most of the people I know who use the zip seals really like them but if you don't want to go that route, I would go with the regular latex seal. YMMV.

stas:
Captain, thanks for the instructions. You would recomend trying to decrease the size of the current seal opening before trying anything else?

I would reduce the size of the neoprene neck seal and try that first. You can have your LDS do it or do it yourself as I outlined. In the past, have used that proceedure to tighten up an old neoprene neck seal that was starting to stretch out and leak. The choice between neoprene and laytex neck seals is a personal one. I find neoprene more comfortable and warmer but slightly more prone to small leaks. Laytex gives a better seal, but is not quite as warm around the neck unless your suit has a collar to hold the bib of your hood. Also, laytex seals need replacing more often and cannot be repaired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom