What would you do with my tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MannyDib2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is arguably just a chance for a mental masturbation break from work but...

I live in SE Florida. Most of the diving I do is on the 3rd reef (1 hr @ 60') with some shore diving ( 1 to 2 hrs @ 15') and an occasional deep wreck (<= 120')
My ideal tanks are HP100s of which I have 2 new ones and I'd love to get 2 more.

What would you do with these other tanks I have?
1 al80 (15 years old? Up for hydro next year)
1 set of manifolded al80 doubles (prob 20 years old and out of hydro)
2 x Worthington LP85s that no one wants to fill (20 years old? Up for hydro next year)
2 x PST HP119s that with an 8" diameter don't fit in some racks (20 years old. Up for hydro next year)

I could keep the LP85s for shore dives but my steel tanks always seem to need a tumble. They could barely do my typical 1hr@60' according to my latest calculations but I've come up short before. I hate being the guy that ends the dive.

The al80s are good for shore dives and dont need a tumble as much as the steels but buoyancy sucks

I could keep the HP119s and just deal with the size annoyance. I could even underfill them to make them lighter

Or I could sell all this **** and get 2 more HP100s
I wonder how much I could get selling locally down here

I'll go back to work now

You should be able to find a home for the LP85s pretty easily down there being so close to cave country. I have a pair of LP85 Worthingtons that I use for sidemount that I love. Alternatively you could find a shop who will "cave fill" your 85s and you will have a similar amount of gas to HP100s.

I would sell the al80 doubles and keep the single.

I'd hold on to the 119s. That extra 20ft of gas might be nice to have on your deeper wreck dives, but if you want to sell them to get back to having all 7 inch tanks then you could probably easily sell the 119s and pick up some 100s and be money ahead or at least even.

Alternatively you could find a shop who will "cave fill" your 85s and you will have a similar amount of gas to HP100s.
Ya, we used to have Fill Express down here for that but I haven't found anybody since.

if you are needing to tumble steel tanks often, then the problem is where you are getting fills, I would keep a pair of al80s for that issue alone for your shore dives. the rest of your tanks you should be able to sell and get you close to the cost of a used pair of hp100s.

I'm wondering about your LP85's always needing a tumble. Seems strange to me. Do you tend to have your cylinders filled at the same place? If so, I'm wonder if their fill station is letting moisture through.

You could convert your Al 80 into a scuba emergency oxygen cylinder to keep in your car for your beach diving.

rx7diver

I'm wondering about your LP85's always needing a tumble. Seems strange to me. Do you tend to have your cylinders filled at the same place? If so, I'm wonder if their fill station is letting moisture through.

You could convert your Al 80 into a scuba emergency oxygen cylinder to keep in your car for your beach diving.

rx7diver
This is a good point. Is your shop draining your tanks to partial pressure fill?

Not drying tanks properly after hydro is cause of rust

No hydro, storage for o2, drive gas for booster, blower for reg building, tyre filling, reason to own compressors

029.JPG

Back
Top Bottom