What would you do if ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think, since you've talked to them and they're aware of the problem, that it would make good sense to dive the suit, reserving the right, if the dimples cause any issue, to send the suit back for a free replacement. That way, you get the best of both worlds -- You have the suit to dive, and no cost if the seal eventually leaks. The shop has the best of both worlds -- They don't have to replace the seal unless or until it does leak. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Leaks or not, when they replace the seal, they're just going to trash the dimpled one. What's it going to hurt to dive it? Talk to the shop & let them know that you want to dive it before sending it back. I don't see where there will be a problem.

Making a mistake, letting you dive it during the short term(assuming it doesn't cause a flood), letting you send it back to be replaced around your dive schedule.................That's real customer service.

Well, the repair center owner stated clearly that they will do whatever it takes to make me happy. That impresses me ... no business can ever do everything perfectly, and it's their response when something goes wrong that will really tell you what sort of business you're dealing with.

They get high marks from me.

As for the neck seal ... following the advice I received, I went home last night and took a hair dryer to it. Putting the dryer on high heat, and waving it back and forth in front of the dimples I watched them shrink and disappear.

Then I stretched it over a tank for the night in preparation for trimming it later today. When I took it off the tank this morning, some of the dimples had reappeared, but much smaller than before. A second application with the hair dryer made them shrink and disappear again.

I'll trim the seal and dive the suit. If the seal proves to be an issue, I'll contact the owner and work something out.

Thanks all for your thoughts ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Based on the response from the owner, I would get ready to ship your other suit. If the seals in question don't hold up too many dives then you'll have the spare suit back ready to go. I'm sure they'll make a point to double check this second suit before sending it back to you.

I've seen lots of these fingertip dimples. As long as they aren't put in place by someone with long fingernails, I've seen zero issues after using the heat gun trick.

I will say I haven't seen them so deep they didn't dissappear with the first zap with a heat gun. Of course, a hair dryer doesn't get as hot as a heat gun.

All the best, James

I replace about 150 neck/wrist seals a year. These are on whitewater kayaking drytops but its the same thing, same seals.
I see a few with these dimples and they are really no big deal from a tech stand point just more of a cosmetic thing the heat gun trick does work just dont get it to hot.

To tell if it is a damage thing lightly stretch the area of the dimple and look for hairline cracks if those are there bad things happen.
I used to do lots of scuba drysuit repairs too before I left the bizz.

You should have heard the reply I got form people when I told them you could trim a neck gasket to fit better (kayakers) you would have thought I told them to skin their mothers alive.

Sounds like you got a good repair shop to work with.

I would tell you to skip on the Aquaseal DIY and use seal cement 3 coats let dry for a couple hours, then aline the gasket to the trimed old one and reactavate the cement with MEK and you get a great bond with out the runny aquaseal mess and it is ready to use in about an hour.

Thanks all ... yes, I think I got a good shop as they responded right away to my query and offered to "do what it takes to make you happy". That's the sort of shop I want to do business with.

This morning I trimmed the seal. When I stretched it over the tank (I use an AL40 for this purpose) a couple of the dimples reappeared, although smaller than before. One was right where I needed to trim, and I was a little nervous about cutting through the weakened area, but it seemed to turn out OK ... and after the trim, when I put the seal over my neck, I couldn't see the spot at all.

I'll dive it later this morning ... got three dives planned today ... looking forward to coming out of the water dry ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

While we're on the subject of seals. I got a Mobies suit in exchange for some work I did. Only used it one dive 2 years ago. Got it out the other day to check the seals. All looked good, I was really surprised the seals looked that new after two years. Went to use it during a cold spell and it leaked like a !@#$%^&. After closer inspection, I was able to easily pull the seals off the legs. The glue they used complete failed. I have one small spot on the wrist seal that is doing the same thing. Anyone have any solutions? The local dry suit repair shop said throw it out, nothing will stick to the fabric they used. He gave me a number a some place on the West coast, said they might look at it. Any answers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom