What would you do if ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just got my suit back from a drysuit repair center yesterday. Upon opening the box the first thing I noticed was a "dimple" in the new neck seal. Without even taking the suit out of the box, I sent off an e-mail to the repair center, describing what I saw.

Upon getting home, I took the suit out of the box and took a closer look at the neck seal. There are, in fact, several dimples in the neck seal. Below are pictures of what they sent me. There is no damage at all to the shipping box, so the neck seal obviously was packed to return to me in this condition.

Question ... if this were your suit, what would your response be? Would you dive it like that? Would you send it back? Or would you take it somewhere else and replace it with another new seal?

I haven't yet heard back from the repair center ... but since I only contacted them yesterday I'm willing to give them a day or so to reply.

Pics ...

neckseal1.jpg

neckseal3.jpg

neckseal4.jpg

I'd start doing your own seals. Not tough at all, but you'll want to make a jig for the neck seals. And buy Aqua Seal in small tubes - once you open it, it's pretty much done after a few weeks. And it's hard to work in the cold, like when you have to work in the shed because your wife won't let you glue new seals in the living room while watching Family Guy.

It looks irregular but if they don't make it leak....and you need the suit NOW....

I would swing a deal with them on the next repair if it works, being without,postage cost and all.
The evidence I see should hold up in court or whatever you want to say.

If there is no stretching or tearing (basically just a visual blemish) I would notify the repair shop to establish a written (e-mail?) history in case the dimples cause a future problem. From the photos, I don't thik it would be an issue. They might even relax/disappear after a few wearings.

If there is no stretching or tearing (basically just a visual blemish) I would notify the repair shop to establish a written (e-mail?) history in case the dimples cause a future problem. From the photos, I don't thik it would be an issue. They might even relax/disappear after a few wearings.

That sounds like a reasonable approach ... what I'm really concerned with is the integrity of the seal. I have another suit, but it's also in need of some repair work. I was hoping to establish a relationship with this particular facility, since they come highly recommended. I've gotta believe that those recommendations didn't come lightly, and that this isn't typical.

On the other hand, I don't want to pay for damaged goods ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Even if it didn't leak, it would bother me. If I brought my car in to have an oil changed, and it came back with scratches on the door, I wouldn't be pleased, even if they did an incredible job changing the oil!
I'd have them replace the neck seal with a new one thats in perfect condition.

If it were me I would want them to replace the seals. You paid for professional seal replacement, so the result shouldn't be something you have to wonder about. If this were DIY or a friend did it for just the cost of the seals, that would be a different story.

Thanks ... I've heard from the repair center and they've offered to replace the seal. Thing is, I really don't want to send the suit back. That's a couple more weeks without it, and my other one's leaking pretty good. The water temp's 48 degrees right now, and I've got a lot of diving plans over the holidaze ... been looking forward to a suit that actually keeps me dry.

He suggested a little trick with a hair dryer that I'm going to try ... I'll let y'all know how it works out. If all else fails, I'll ship it back for a new seal ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Personally, I would dive it over the Holidays as you had hoped to do, and see how it does. If it leaks, there is NO question that it goes back. If it does not, and the dimples relax, then you have to make a decision on whether it is worth the hassle and time without it in order to have them do what would at that point be essentially a cosmetic repair.

Back
Top Bottom