What would I gain? Fin upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am wondering why you are crossing off split fins, i know a few photographers that use split fins. One guy even told me that he liked them when he was taking photos because they allowed them to catch back up to the group he was diving with. Others that i know use the split fins when in drysuits and have no problem with them.
Try going backwards, or executing fine, close-in adjustments.

All the best, James

Jets -- there's really nothing else out there I'd ever use.
Ever.

Jets -- there's really nothing else out there I'd ever use.
Ever.

May I assume from your statement, that you've used every other set of fins out there & found them wanting? Or should I assume something else?

whatzup HAAA
Go look at this web site just copy,paste it in your address bar it has the brand spanking new fin tests and it is gonna save you mOOOla It shows that the Mares super channel kicked all the competitions ass even its more expensive bigger brother Mr excel. not even to talk about some way over priced black split fins cough cough SP is BS
18 New Fins - Scuba Diving Magazine

whatzup HAAA
Go look at this web site just copy,paste it in your address bar it has the brand spanking new fin tests and it is gonna save you mOOOla It shows that the Mares super channel kicked all the competitions ass even its more expensive bigger brother Mr excel. not even to talk about some way over priced black split fins cough cough SP is BS
18 New Fins - Scuba Diving Magazine

All that really means is that Mares just signed to a very large advertisement package with said magazine. :lotsalove:

I see no reason to dump the blades. I've been using mine since certification. I have 2 pairs. They are cheap on ebay. I also have a set of super rockets since the blades are a little long for going into wrecks IMO and the rockets give me more fine control and pack easier for trips. They do tend to work the ankles a bit more as they are pretty stiff so I've gone back to the blades for pool when I'm in there for three hours at a time. I also have a set of AL Pulse's that my wife won in an auction that I've never used as they are too big(XL's for sale BTW reasonable) and I just got a new set of fins that I've been asked not to indentify just yet since they have not been released. I'm testing them in the pool this week and in Bonaire starting next saturday. Once I get the ok to post a review I will. But my advice is if they are not falling apart- keep the blades for ow. If you're going tech then maybe jets, slipstreams, the Dive Rite's w/the spring straps or the new ones I've got that will soon be out. Just go slow. As for the magazine tests- pretty much worthless as the testers may be nothing like you, dive in conditions you'll never see, and use a kicking style unlike your as well. In addition they probably work for the magazine that PAYS their wages THRU advertising, hint, hint. Usually they are not independent testers and did you ever see a review in a magazine that says their tester thought this was junk? No, and even if it is you never will. Because of those ad dollars.

In addition they probably work for the magazine that PAYS their wages THRU advertising, hint, hint. Usually they are not independent testers and did you ever see a review in a magazine that says their tester thought this was junk? No, and even if it is you never will. Because of those ad dollars.

I'm not a dive professional like Jim, so I don't have the inside track on the politics and relationships inside the dive business. I dive with some experienced guys, and we let each other try out our gear.

Several of my buddies use Mares fins, and let me try them. Mares fins are very good. If their latest type is as good as the previous, then they deserve a good write-up.

My European friends like the Aqualung blades. They grew up on soccer and ride a bike often. If your legs are as strong as theirs, it is probably the fin for you.

Have fun with it.

Jim & Zzz may be correct, I really don't know. I have some issues with the report however.

In the body of the article under the fins image there are some graphs.
Avanti Superchannel:-
Speed... 2.1mph, Thrust... 36 lbs. Slalom... 71 seconds

Quatro Excels:-
Speed.... 2mph, Thrust..... 38lbs, Slalom... 69 seconds

My 1st thought, how does a fin producing less thrust have a higher top speed & with more speed take longer to do the slalom. Also the null hypothesis would be proved when comparing the performance of these fins.

Then I saw the summery box at the top of the article.

Avanti Superchannel:-
Speed... 2.4 mph, Thrust... 41 lbs. Slalom... 55 seconds

Quatro Excels:-
Speed.... 2.3mph, Thrust..... 40lbs, Slalom... 62 seconds

My conclusion, the author either has no idea haw to analyse & present data, there are mistakes somewhere, he's incompetent or has some agenda that has nothing to do with presenting factual non biased information.

Having said all that, & if I accept the averages presented in the body of the article. There is no statistically significant difference in the performance of these 2 fins. Therefore the price v's performance equation falls heavily on the supperchannel side.

I'm considering upgrading my fins from the USD Blades that I've been diving on since my college days. The mares quattro excel comes highly recommended at my LDS (my wife dives the mares avanti quattros, and likes them). Would the mares give more efficiency in a smaller package? Any other paddle fins I should look at? (Please note that future interests include photography, so splits are out.)

Any help would be appreciated!

============================================

If you're looking for increased performance in a smaller package ...consider Force Fins !!

MJ

I'm considering upgrading my fins from the USD Blades that I've been diving on since my college days. The mares quattro excel comes highly recommended at my LDS (my wife dives the mares avanti quattros, and likes them). Would the mares give more efficiency in a smaller package? Any other paddle fins I should look at? (Please note that future interests include photography, so splits are out.)

Any help would be appreciated!

lol......(see below picture)...... Those yellow split fins my wife Betsy is wearing(she wanted to try them on that dive) are mine. All the pictures on my photobucket site, except for the Roatan one's, were shot diving those split fins.....In fact, look @ the diver in the background, that's right, he's wearing split fins too....
IMG_1293036.jpg

Back
Top Bottom