What would I gain? Fin upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm considering upgrading my fins from the USD Blades that I've been diving on since my college days. The mares quattro excel comes highly recommended at my LDS (my wife dives the mares avanti quattros, and likes them). Would the mares give more efficiency in a smaller package? Any other paddle fins I should look at? (Please note that future interests include photography, so splits are out.)

Any help would be appreciated!

I have original USD Blades and haven't seen a reason to "upgrade" - heck, the owner of my LDS doesn't try to sell me new fins - he says "hang on to those and don't lose them."

Jets????

In the year I've been on the board I've seen this, and similar questions, many times. I'm becoming more and more convinced that fin selection really is a personal choice and what's best for any two people may be totally different based on body size, swimming mechanics, and just plain personal preference. My wife and I started with the Blade 2 fin and had to deal with leg cramps on most every dive. We changed to Jets and have never looked back. You'll see others here who have had the exact opposite experience.
I think its like cars. You just have to test drive them and find the one you like.

I had a pair of Blades for years. If they hadn't been stolen I'd still be using them I think. When I went to replace them I found they were no longer made & settled on the Blade 2. They just weren't the same, as a matter of fact, I really didn't like them much at all. Someone said "try some splits, they're the bee's knees". They were OK but I found myself going back to the Blade 2's, disliking them, back to the splits, back to..... you get the idea. About 12 months ago I got a set of Quatro Excels. They do it all, they do it well, they're probably too big for wreck penetrations really, but I like them. I'v never considered using the others again.

Of course fin preference depends on many things, leg strength, where they're used, what sort of rig you have to push around etc. & is therefore a very personal thing.

What you stand to gain is increased comfort and better air consumption. Or not. Your current fins may be best for you. Or not. Borrow from friends and try out some different options. It's the only way you'll ever really know.

I love my OMS Slipstreams, same basic design as the SP Jets but neutrally buoyant. Mostly I dive wet and I'm feet heavy so the lighter fins work best for me. I'm itching to try some Force Fins. Goofy looking things but they have their die hard advocates. I could deal with the ridicule if they perform as claimed by some.

ReefHound
Try the Force Fins - dive them at least 4 or five times if you don't like them Force Fin has a no questions asked policy that is good for 30 days! You are right they do look funny compared to the fins on the market, but there are a lot of heavy weight divers out there that like them and some that don't! Depends on what you do underwater, but they have over 18 models.
MMW
A lot of Photo Buffs swear by the Force Fin. It really depends on you , but there are a lot of Still and video guys who use them. Good luck and as it was mentioned before try them out if you can or take advantage of any policy that that manufactures have concerning their products!
YouTube - The History of Force Fin

I am wondering why you are crossing off split fins, i know a few photographers that use split fins. One guy even told me that he liked them when he was taking photos because they allowed them to catch back up to the group he was diving with. Others that i know use the split fins when in drysuits and have no problem with them.

I agree - everyone's different, and what is great for me would be terrible for someone else.

With that said, Janet and I have used Quattros for recreational diving for years. When we switched to a rock-booted drysuit, we had to get a fin that would fit the boots; we picked up some Blades from a local shop.

The very first thing we said when we got out of the water (almost at the same time) was "these are okay, but they're no Quattros!" The next dive just reinforced what a performance gap there was.

We ordered new Quattros that same day. So yes, there's a difference.

As an aside, there's a local shop that is an AquaLung dealer; all the staff, the owner included, dive Quattros. Hmmm.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom