What will you dive when the coral is gone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For an organisation that prides itself as being the authority on maritime matters, for the US, I’m surprised none of their statements are supported by reference sources. Are we to just take their word for it?
The quote is from a page from the National Ocean Service aimed at the general public; a little searching will easily find the science papers it is based on.

I’ve studied both plate tectonics and oceanography and am well aware sea level varies worldwide. For example parts of the U.K. are sinking whilst other areas are rising, because of the rebounding from the last ice-age. The US’s rising sea levels may be from the heavy continental rock sinking into the mantle. Nothing to do with ice sheets. No one wants to report the increases in the thickness of the Antarctic ice-cap. As it goes against the politically correct reporting culture.
The ice thickness is only part of the balance. Recent work has uncovered the several components of the balance. Turns out that thermal expansion of sea water accounts for much of the sea-level rise and most of the regional variability. See for example
Present-day sea-level change: A review - ScienceDirect.
When global sea-level is the issue. local changes as seen for example by tide gauges, do need to take into account the land rising or falling. that is part of the regional variability is perceived rise. Your pier may not submerge, mine might, because we are on different land masses and in different regions of the world ocean. Please separate local changes as seen at the coast from global rise or fall.
The whole issue of global warming is whether man is impacting the planet. The [H2 18O]:[H2 16O] molecule ratio from ice cores from Greenland indicate the current warming started before the industrial revolution, with temperature rising 50 years ahead of CO2 increases [Open University, “Ocean Chemistry and Deep-sea Sediments”, S330, 1989]
LOL. You need to look at some more recent literature. I've attached something for you. Enjoy.

Attachments

• Sea-Level Change (NRC).pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 156
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom