Coral Bleaching – Why it happens? Diving Maluku

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Revisiting an earlier comment, divers and the dive industry is not the main fault for climate change the degradation of reefs. If anything we help the reefs by providing an economic niche (like ecotourism) that captures the attention of politics and governments to take interest. But I do see the point of view of divers being harmful to these systems. Bad diving habits like kneeling/standing on the bottom or kicking up sediment can certainly impact benthic (or bottom) communities.

This is a point I was also going to make. There are certainly communities & governments that are realising the value of preserving their local marine environment (and environment as a whole), trying to prevent destructive methods of fishing and restoring damaged reefs. This in turn helps to attract more income from eco-tourism.
Unfortunately this doesn't come without its downsides; fossil fuel for travel, the impacts of infrastructure, waste water, sewage, aircon units etc etc., so we've got try to establish a balance. We can do small things such as using environmentally friendlier shampoo, reef friendly sunscreen and seek out environmentally conscience resorts/hotels and dive operators. Eg. last year we stayed at a resort that provides metal water bottles for free re-fills from a large water cooler in the restaurant to save from buying plastic water bottles that would be discarded - simple but very effective.

On a larger scale there needs to be much more of a concerted effort by us all to assert pressure on governments and businesses. Unfortunately, it feels like swimming against a tidal wave of greed and ignorance!! :banghead:
So for me, I fear the worst but try to do my (little) bit and try to stay hopeful.

Last edited:
If humanity is to survive our issues and progress into the distant future, it will be because of those who had hope and took action and it will be in spite of those who gave up hope and did nothing.

If humanity is to survive our issues and progress into the distant future, it will be because of those who had hope and took action and it will be in spite of those who gave up hope and did nothing.

This is true. There is a famous quote:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

The context was not environmental, but it still holds some truth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom