What watch do real divers wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm... I'm a "real" diver (approaching 50 years on SCUBA) and I don't wear no stinking watch at all. I'm on "island time" (Catalina Island time that is).

Oh, good, that saved me from asking what a "real diver" was . . . :rofl3:

I've been using the titanium Sea pathfinder for three years. No atomic time, is solar, has depth gauge, time under water, Digital compass, thermometer, and barometer.

I'd been happy with it for 24/7 wear and backup. I could use the buttons underwater. Problem is, I just found out the titanium band is connected to the case with a skinny resin loop! So now I have a pocket watch! :angrymob: $250 wasted! I thought I'd get at least the 5 years I got out of the basic resin casios I've had before. The new Pathfinder skips the depth gauge & underwater timer now as well.

I've been looking at the posts here for opinions of folks like me that want a few basic features for fun when snorkeling/backup and as an every day watch.

The Citizen Eco-Drive Aqualand with Dive Log - 20th Anniversary Model I saw has good features but a weird look (and I just prefer digital)

The Citizen Hyper Aqualand Promaster Diving Watch line has some good reviews and looks good too. I just wish it has the solar! It'd be just my luck that the battery would die while on a trip, and I'm not wild about the time & $$ of mailing it back to them...

Does a watch similar to my old Sea pathfinder or the Hyper Aqualand Promaster exist that HAS the solar like the eco-drive and the Casio?? I hate not having a watch but don't want to rush into a watch this time....

Thanks!

Hi again, I was hoping someone might have some opinions about the watches I asked about, so I thought I'd refresh this...

Well, I'm not sure I count as a "real" diver but I wanted a watch that I could travel and dive with. I looked at the Citizen Eco-Drive dive watch and I didn't like the new look. I considered getting the previous model which looks like a normal watch. What I did decide on was the Momentum Nereos. It's not a dive computer by any stretch but it records bottom dive, max depth, current depth, temperature as well as having the analog dial. I use it as my backup computer (I use analog gauges as primary). Nice thing is I can set depth and time alarms. It'll also alert ascending too fast.

Overall, not bad at all for a watch that if someone wasn't looking closely couldn't tell that it's a dive watch. As a bonus I like buying Canadian. :)

Well, I'm not sure I count as a "real" diver but I wanted a watch that I could travel and dive with. I looked at the Citizen Eco-Drive dive watch and I didn't like the new look. I considered getting the previous model which looks like a normal watch. What I did decide on was the Momentum Nereos. It's not a dive computer by any stretch but it records bottom dive, max depth, current depth, temperature as well as having the analog dial. I use it as my backup computer (I use analog gauges as primary). Nice thing is I can set depth and time alarms. It'll also alert ascending too fast.

Overall, not bad at all for a watch that if someone wasn't looking closely couldn't tell that it's a dive watch. As a bonus I like buying Canadian. :)

Thanks for the input! Guess I'm not the only night owl here! I just now looked at the Nereos and it has some of the features but I'm still hoping for either the solar recharging or at least full digital (of course, I'd like both!:))

To each their own...

I went for the Nereos partially because of the analog dials. To each their own if course but I was looking for a watch that wouldn't be out of place in a boardroom.

The three faults I would say it has are; bad night time viewing - the glow in the dark sucks, only 4 dive memory, and if the deep sensor gets dirty it goes into an error mode that won't let you use watch functions like alarm and chronograph until the sensor is cleaned which might be tough in some areas.

Another vote for Timex Ironman. I've forgotten how many years and dives on it. Looks beat up, but that only adds character :cool2:

Oceanic Atom 2

Nice size for a wristwatch, wakes me up every morning (loud), reminds me that the parking meter needs to be fed (countdown timer), and travels easily (alternate time zone).

While diving, it serves as backup bottom timer (gauge mode) and logger. I used it as an air integrated dive computer before switching to 'organic' dive planning.

So, RandyTay, after all the testimonials what upon which dive watch did you decide?

At the end of the day, the Luminox is a pretty good all round choice. That thing is so bright you can read a book by its light in a pitch black room.

the K

Casio G-Shock. Solar powered so I don't have to ever worry about that battery case seal.

About $100.00 and has been on each of my dives and is my everyday watch.

To the OP: I currently use a Timex Ironman.

Anyone with experience will be diving with a computer, and I think that all computers have the time, so the only real need for a watch underwater is redundancy.

I'm assuming a bottom timer counts as a computer in this statement?

a6890b99-671b-338c.jpg

The Casio doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it does cost under $100usd.

I would love to find that model for under $100.

Back
Top Bottom