What was your, "Oh got it lesson learned moment"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is ridiculous, You deliberately knock another diver into the water, flipping them backwards against their will?

If you did that to me, you might expect- if you are a male (and I am serious here) a solid punch to the face after we enter the water. I would probably follow that up with ripping your regulator from your mouth, so as to facilitate a more clear discussion of the situation - of course.

Rolling off a boat is serious stuff, your "idea" is dangerous, unnecessary and would probably make me quite unhappy.
Honestly. I would be quite upset if i was working out my mask and regulator, and was shoved in. I would probably take in a mouthful of seawater, which no one wants.

That is ridiculous, You deliberately knock another diver into the water, flipping them backwards against their will?

If you did that to me, you might expect- if you are a male (and I am serious here) a solid punch to the face after we enter the water. I would probably follow that up with ripping your regulator from your mouth, so as to facilitate a more clear discussion of the situation - of course.

Rolling off a boat is serious stuff, your "idea" is dangerous, unnecessary and would probably make me quite unhappy.

No, it is safe practice. It is part of the brief.
The diver is not being flipped back against their will, they are expecting to go, they are waiting to go.
The buddy checks have been complete, regulators are in each divers mouth and the boat is running onto the shot.
If you don't want to 'go', you lean back into the boat and the bow divers arm just bounces off you.
(If does leave a diver on their own in the water, with the boat having to do a go around to recover the diver.)
You both know that what is going to happen. It is only the diver closest to the bow that puts their arm out. You can always choose to sit in the bow position, but, you do run the risk that the stern diver will land on you!

I was lucky, I only ended up with a tube of superglue in my skull. It could have been a lot worse.

yeah or what if you have a problem, just realized the air is off, or you forgot your fins, go pro or weight belt and somebody deliberately rips you off the boat into the water. Just not a good idea in almost any scenario I can imagine...

No, it is safe practice. It is part of the brief.
The diver is not being flipped back against their will, they are expecting to go, they are waiting to go.
The buddy checks have been complete, regulators are in each divers mouth and the boat is running onto the shot.
If you don't want to 'go', you lean back into the boat and the bow divers arm just bounces off you.
(If does leave a diver on their own in the water, with the boat having to do a go around to recover the diver.)
You both know that what is going to happen. It is only the diver closest to the bow that puts their arm out. You can always choose to sit in the bow position, but, you do run the risk that the stern diver will land on you!

I was lucky, I only ended up with a tube of superglue in my skull. It could have been a lot worse.

That is ridiculous and you just doubled down on it. You are safe when rolling from the bow as long as you wait your turn.

Honestly. I would be quite upset if i was working out my mask and regulator, and was shoved in. I would probably take in a mouthful of seawater, which no one wants.
If you are not ready WHY did you tell the skipper and the dive manager to run onto the shot?
You have put everyone in the water at risk by having the boat run onto the shot if you are not ready?

Unless you where the last pair, the dive manager would have cancelled the drop as soon as you took the regulator out of your mouth.

That is ridiculous and you just doubled down on it. You are safe when rolling from the bow as long as you wait your turn.
No, I got a crack on the head because the stern diver failed to roll in on command, I went on command. If the bow diver delay's, then he/she miss the shot and the boat needs to recover the divers and start all over again. Possibly missing slack, certainly pissing everyone else off.

On a drift dive off West Palm at about 80 feet with me at about 800 and just about to head up, I saw a diver whose buddy was not near him, looked my way and gave the "fist on chest" signal for Low-on-air, so I finned over with my (short hose) octo, and he showed me his gauge at 400. He shared my reg from then til the safety stop, when after a short hang, I was down to 400, so we "matched", and he switched back to his reg as we both surfaced with about 300 left.

This was my first-ever share- octo real-time experience, and it couldn't have gone better. I was really grateful he gave me the signal while he still had enough air to make a near-normal shared ascent. Some divers might have sucked down too much air before signalling, and I would have been anxious the whole way up--which makes you breathe too fast..

Way fast-forward, and I underestimated current on an ascent and burned through air too fast, I gave that same signal to my buddy and it turned out well, this time it was me, but the prior experience reminded me, "don't wait and hope it gets better, signal now while you still have a workable amount of air".

yeah or what if you have a problem, just realized the air is off, or you forgot your fins, go pro or weight belt and somebody deliberately rips you off the boat into the water. Just not a good idea in almost any scenario I can imagine...
How can you have your air off, missing fins, weight belt or other equipment if you have done a buddy check?
If you are not ready you DO NOT tell the skipper to run onto the shot.

If you do have a problem you lean back into the boat and cancel the drop.
The last thing you want is the boat anywhere near the shot unless you are dropping off divers.

Even on a bigger boat, where you are doing a stride entry off the stern or out of side gate, you don't tell the skipper you are ready unless you are.

How can you have your air off, missing fins, weight belt or other equipment if you have done a buddy check?
If you are not ready you DO NOT tell the skipper to run onto the shot.

If you do have a problem you lean back into the boat and cancel the drop.
The last thing you want is the boat anywhere near the shot unless you are dropping off divers.

Even on a bigger boat, where you are doing a stride entry off the stern or out of side gate, you don't tell the skipper you are ready unless you are.
Have you considered doing your back roll on either side of the gunwale? Both hands are needed when doing a roll back entry.

If you are not ready WHY did you tell the skipper and the dive manager to run onto the shot?
You have put everyone in the water at risk by having the boat run onto the shot if you are not ready?

Unless you where the last pair, the dive manager would have cancelled the drop as soon as you took the regulator out of your mouth.
so why have the forward diver rolling first why not start at the rear -that way the person on their left cant land on them if boast is creeping forward. Ive never heard of this practice and it has lots of potential for a screw up- especially on the cattle boat type dives .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom