What was your first piece of gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unlikelyfish

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm probably going to end up acquiring gear gradually so I'm wondering what others chose as their first piece of diving equipment (besides snorkel, mask and fins). I'm leaning towards a computer or maybe a drysuit.

Spent a wackfull of money, all at about the same time ....

Bought wetsuit, gloves and computer on one visit.

About a month later: BC.

Next visit: UW camera.

Six months later: reg, octo, console, light, safety signal, reel.

Am I missing something ?

If you've got the money, a dry suit is a good place to start. It can be hard to rent one that fits, and good exposure protection is critical to enjoying diving in the PNW. A good dive light is pretty important, too, in our limited visibility.

After mask, snorkel, fins, came a wetsuit, followed by regulator and bc, then, a slew of stuff, 13 years later I've bought a computer.........but run it in gauge mode now.

Aky another one

her she blows

aprt from your usual gear as mentioned.

I went for a wetsuit, then reg then BC. The computer then the drysuit, new fins for the drysuit. A back up mask, then a backplate and wing. Inbetween I got cutting tools three good lights...sold that then got two photon topedos, then a can light. Sold the old wetsuit then got a newer one. CHaneg gloves due to wear and tear. Got drygloves also along the way. Why dive dry with wet gloves...right!

Got a fullface...sold that. Got a new car to haul all my**** back and forth...sold that got a better car. OH forgot...got them things that go on your back...TANKS..got me a mess of them...6 tanks to reasonable. 8 on a good week.

Then went around again. Got more regs, new undies ( fourth element ), sold the other car got a newer model. I was thinkng of trading in the wife...but think I will keep her...she lets me dive anytime...:wink:

A whole whack of tarps, tools, cases ropes, reels.

Then I sold my condo to buy a house with a garage...had to find room for the dive gear. and the wife and dog.

Got a beer tap for the apres dive return and unload of gear...got to hydrate while doing clean up.

Safe dives

Mask, Snorkel, boot and fins on the first day.

Reg, octo after a week.

BC after another week.

Dive comp the week after.

yesterday my credit card statement came.... :shakehead:

because Im 6'4 with a 52" chest, I couldn't rent a wetsuit so I ordered a custom suit, may have done that before I found a mask....

Bought a package that had everything in it then 2 months and 25 dives later I started over with a BP/W then new regs and everything else now a drysuit is in the air next couple of weeks I will decide

David P:
because Im 6'4 with a 52" chest, I couldn't rent a wetsuit so I ordered a custom suit, may have done that before I found a mask....
Pinnacle is your friend. 3xl does me fine with similar dimensions.

So far, drysuit sounds like the best option. I'm very small and know from previous experience that getting rental stuff to fit is a lost cause.

Does anyone know of any reason why you couldn't use a diving drysuit kayaking? I normally wear just a drytop but for winter paddling a drysuit would be handy and it seems silly to buy two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom