What was your first piece of gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the suggestions that a well-fitting exposure suit is a worthy first purchase. First time around (before grad school, career, kids, etc. beached me for a decade plus) I first bought a wetsuit, gloves, hood and boots then used the rental gear from the LDS where I was working as a "go-fer". If you go this route I would also echo comments about regulators being in a 100 mouths, and add a $6 mouthpiece and some tiewraps to swap out yours for rentals. I think most LDS would be happy to swap in yours for a rental and back again. If you can, renting a variety of BCDs, regs and computers will help inform what should be your next purchases. While your LDS will do its best to make sure every reg in its rental program performs as good as its specs, they ARE rental regs and suffer untold cruelties at the hands of students in chlorinated pools, sandy beaches and elsewhere. So I would prioritize a regulator and guages as your next purchase after your exposure suit. Unless there is a compelling reason, tanks should be among the last things you purchase as long as you can consistently get the same type (eg, 80AL) so that you don't have to keep adjusting your weights.

Me, I just got back into the water and I'm already 3000+ "miles" close to Cozumel after putting a Scubapro MK25/S600 reg, SeaQuest ProQD BC, Suunto Cobra computer (w/compass), Aqualung Aqua FLex 7mm wetsuit, hood, gloves and boots, two(2) XS 120 HP tanks and assorted clips, covers and bag to lug it all on my credit card. Ouch!! (I did salvage my old Plana Avanti fins and Scubrpro Quadvision mask - just so I felt that I wasn't starting ALL over again.) But when the wife gives you a "green light" you gotta go for it - you never know when you'll get a green light again!!:D

Regulator the night after pool dive 1, BC after dive 2. No regrets.

My first purchase besides mask/fins/snorkel was my Atomic reg, octo & gauges. I figured it's life support, and I wanted the best. Second was other safety gear, exposure protection, etc. Third was my BC, followed by tanks and a pony. Still on the list is a computer and camera.

Immediately bought Zeagle Scout (mostly a price issue) and Oceanic regs and guages, and a wet suit (of un remembered manufacter). Very quickly figured out that to really dive you need a computer and bought a Suunto.

later upgraded most of this to various top of the line brands from Zeagle and ScubaPro and a Suunto Vytec. Also OMS and DiveRite. Basically various kits for various diving scenarios.

I tell my students if they are going to be life time divers with more than an occasion cruise ship dive or dive vacation once every two years, then get the best you can afford.

After the fins/mask/snorkel, it was a wetsuit. We knew which style/brand we wanted, but didn't have knowledge or opinions about the rest of the equipment choices. After renting for about 20 dives, we put together a package of reg + octo, bcd and computer with one dive shop. Got a 35% off price for a mixed set of aqualung, apeks, seaquest and oceanic gear. Then, went to a nearer LDS and asked for the same deal and got it. Never looked back and LDS is only 1 mi from home. Buying any item separately would have broken the package and cost about $600-$700 x 2 gear sets additional.

Big *** Sea Hunt knife! You just have to look cool in all that rental gear!

OK, OK, after the required mask, fins, snorkel...I got a wetsuit...new, that nobody had pee'd in. Then the next week a bp/w because I really wanted to do my OW in one and not a vest. Buying was my only option. Then I figured, since I had the bp/w, I might as well buy a reg. OK, I had a closet full of gear before my OW class started...I am sure glad I liked it and passed!

if choosing between drysuit and computer as a first purchase... i'd go with a drysuit. the sooner you get it the sooner you'll get used to it and the sooner it'll take to perfect your buoyancy. I'd actually get a dive computer last. it is not an essential piece of equipment (not until you get one :))

US Divers Royal Aquamaster Double Hose Regulator
Voit Viking Fin
Dacor D Pack
Tank on Sale

after MFS, I'm not 100% sure, but I got a computer, vest, gloves and a wetsuit around the same time. booties were part of the MFS purchase. 2nd ~ was a BC and last was the reg...well, not exactly last I guess, I just bought weights and a AL80 (so I can dive at my convience, not some shops)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom