What Vest to Get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife and I are drysuit divers in Puget Sound. HOWEVER, we have several trips planned to warm water this year and want to "accessorize" our ScubaPro 3mm full suits with hooded vests to accomodate many different water temps.

We've been looking online at Akona, Henderson, Bare and "No Name" vests.

What advice do any of you have regarding brands (for a vest that is used sparingly -- is anyone really better than another) and thickness (2 mm, 3 mm, 2/3, etc.).

We need to decide quickly since we leave the end of Jan. for Maui.

BTW, all other things being equal, we'd go with Bare because we have the opportunity to buy some at a discount.

The Bare hooded vest is real nice, I have a 2004 which was 3mm skin on the torso, a 5mm hood with face seal and a little bib that rolled down over the wetsuit collar to form a labyrinth seal. It is worn under the full suit.

For 2005 they removed the bib and went to 7mm on the hood. It would be cozy but may be too much for warm water diving.

They do have a 1mm version that would do wonders for neck flushing but that's not much more thermally.

I have anumber of Bare items and would buy more in a heartbeat.

The hooded vest is an excellent way to extend the function of your suits, layering at it's best.

Pete

I have Henderson 5/3mm Hyperstretch Hooded vest. It is very easy to don/doff, but it is pricey and has some frays from the velcro contact.

I'd definitely second the suggestion to try a Henderson Hyperstretch. Worth the money IMO for the ease of don/doff....you don't have to be a contortionist, even when it's wet!

Yes, not only is it easier to get on and off, it actually stays in place on my head better. I know this is more than you want to hear, but I slap on hair conditioner then put the hood on. When I get out, I just rinse and --presto, you can go out to lunch.

Another point is that biting the bullet and having two wetsuits means you always have a dry one for the second dive --and they last twice as long!

catherine96821:
Yes, not only is it easier to get on and off, it actually stays in place on my head better. I know this is more than you want to hear, but I slap on hair conditioner then put the hood on. When I get out, I just rinse and --presto, you can go out to lunch.

Another point is that biting the bullet and having two wetsuits means you always have a dry one for the second dive --and they last twice as long!
Well thank you Martha Stewart :)

I used to use a hooded vest but never when I was diving a 3 mil.

yea, I like to think so.

i have the 3/5 henderson gold core hooded vest and i absolutely love it, i just added the 5/7mm gold core jumpsuit to my collection :)

I have a Scubapro 3mm fullsuit and a 2.5 / 0.5mm Scubapro hooded vest (2.5mm on the hood and torso areas) which works well for me - I'd like to think it's some sort of integrated system :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom