What types of things are written on a line cookie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Name, nickname or initials. That's about it for NDMs. I color code some when surveying... but that's easily accomplished with a colored sharpie.

I would pay for individualized DM and NDM, but to make it viable for production, you need to make them from sheets of materials. AND if you do that, make NDMs that glow in the dark please.

WOULD ALSO, based on the sample you show, suggest moving the printed information to the larger area and make it MUCH bigger... think, overhead environment, need information fast, vis may not be great, the **** has hit the fan and you are making a life or death decision based on what this cookie tells you... potentially.

Last edited:
Name sharpied on them and a feature that lets me know that it's mine in a zero-vis situation. No real need for anything else.

I could see doing specific runs for survey projects or something.

better to find a buddy with a 3d printer and print the custom ones for survey or whatever. The way they make the current ones is too costly to customize.

Usually nothing other than name.

When Ginnie had a blow up doll at the Heinkle however, all sorts of funny things were written on a slate and arrows/cookies near there.

Back up, back up! There was a blow-up doll at the Henkel? How on earth did it get there? When? How long was he/she there? And who is the lunatic who brought it there? Are there photos, especially of the things written on the slates and cookies nearby?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drill a set of holes in my cookie for zero vis recognition, in addition to a sharpie marking.

Back up, back up! There was a blow-up doll at the Henkel? How on earth did it get there? When? How long was he/she there? And who is the lunatic who brought it there? Are there photos, especially of the things written on the slates and cookies nearby?

To not go off topic too much, but there are some cave trinkets, that becomes a landmark, for example the Bats in Ginnie, SPG in Madison, the stop light at JB, Godzilla in the Godzilla circuit etc. Unfortunately there is a tendency for some of this trash to expand as some people think if a little is good,more has to be fun. There was a time that cave trash expanded exponentially with dinosaurs, Barbie's etc all over the lines. At some point stuff like this can impair navigation in zero viz emergency conditions.

I am not a fan of installing weird stuff into the cave that could get loose and contribute to the trash problem in our waterways, but the mental image of someone swimming a sex doll into the cave (even if that is not how it happened) is a great mental image. The thought of a cave diver inflating it at the steps and attracting stares from the tubers (eliciting a "mind your own %#}* business!" retort from the diver in question) is also delicious.

I am not a fan of installing weird stuff into the cave that could get loose and contribute to the trash problem in our waterways, but the mental image of someone swimming a sex doll into the cave (even if that is not how it happened) is a great mental image. The thought of a cave diver inflating it at the steps and attracting stares from the tubers (eliciting a "mind your own %#}* business!" retort from the diver in question) is also delicious.

This is going back several years, but basically the Ginnie line committee made a knee jerk change to a death and replaced all the existing gold line out beyond the Heinkle with white line. During this, they left a slate that said no DPV's beyond this point. This was completely unenforceable and became kind of a community joke for a bit. I believe the blow up doll said "Park your Scooter here" with an arrow to make sure now one missed the pun, and wasn't in the cave that long.

Anyways, to Kelly's point, the trash was all cleaned up and nothing is left in the cave. It was a bit childish, but everyone got a good laugh out of it and it was eventually cleaned up, no big deal in the long run.

Yes, maybe it was a bit childish. But as a wise old woman once said, "Nothing tops a good dick and fart joke"! And say what you will - I will forever retain the mental image of a cave diver struggling with a partially-inflated sex doll through the Lips (heh...!) and furiously waving away any offers of help from bemused passers by.

OK, back to regular programming now. Sorry for the diversion.

This is going back several years, but basically the Ginnie line committee made a knee jerk change to a death and replaced all the existing gold line out beyond the Heinkle with white line. During this, they left a slate that said no DPV's beyond this point. This was completely unenforceable and became kind of a community joke for a bit. I believe the blow up doll said "Park your Scooter here" with an arrow to make sure now one missed the pun, and wasn't in the cave that long.

Anyways, to Kelly's point, the trash was all cleaned up and nothing is left in the cave. It was a bit childish, but everyone got a good laugh out of it and it was eventually cleaned up, no big deal in the long run.

For historical purposes, "Leon of the deep" used to sit at the Heinkel for years. This was one of those yard statues taken from I think a state patrolman's front yard. It was amusing, and a pretty good landmark since it was heavy enough the flow wouldn't move it around. I am not a prude for things like this,but where I have an issue is when the problem gets out of control. For example,someone will place in a new item, and people will laugh about it, and others will try to one up the next to get a bigger laugh, and then a cave starts to look like someone's toy box.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom