What types of divers last the longest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm just curious as to what the thoughts are on what types of divers withstand the test of time in the sport the longest?
It seems to me that I've seen more tech divers peak out and move on more than other group. Maybe next would be travelling divers that don't or won't dive locally?
What's your opinion?

I imagine it has a lot to do with access and where someone lives. How many times can you recreationally dive the same local quarry before you lose interest and maybe move on? Also, there's probably two types of divers starting out. The try it and see if I like it because it's on my bucket list diver and the try it and the now I'm addicted and it's a way of life diver.

I would think specialty divers stay in the sport the longest. Tech, spearfisherman, pros, commercial, etc. I don't know what the attrition rate is for spearfisherman, but odds are if they live near coastal towns and stayed in the sport after a couple failures and shark encounters they're probably lifetime divers. I imagine "near misses" dispatch a lot of divers.

I had the privilege of meeting the legend Ray Odor recently. Great man, gave me the tour of his home, trophies, shark tooth collection and we spent the better part of an hour trading stories. He's over 80 yrs. old and if he could physically dive tomorrow I'm sure he would. The man's been scuba diving for over 62 years and freediving longer than that. For the avid fisherman who harvests his/her own food they probably stick with it for a long time.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Here's some cool history. Clearwater, Florida 1954.

I'm going to suggest, the people who have the greatest staying power are those with easy access to diving. If you're just diving on vacation then the costs mount up. Also if you spouse doesn't dive then that can be a limiting factor.

There's a news report of a 92 year old in Cyprus who completed 29 dives last year and is aiming for 39 this. Now that really is staying power!!!

I imagine it has a lot to do with access and where someone lives. How many times can you recreationally dive the same local quarry before you lose interest and maybe move on? Also, there's probably two types of divers starting out. The try it and see if I like it because it's on my bucket list diver and the try it and the now I'm addicted and it's a way of life diver.

I would think specialty divers stay in the sport the longest. Tech, spearfisherman, pros, commercial, etc. I don't know what the attrition rate is for spearfisherman, but odds are if they live near coastal towns and stayed in the sport after a couple failures and shark encounters they're probably lifetime divers. I imagine "near misses" dispatch a lot of divers.

I had the privilege of meeting the legend Ray Odor recently. Great man, gave me the tour of his home, trophies, shark tooth collection and we spent the better part of an hour trading stories. He's over 80 yrs. old and if he could physically dive tomorrow I'm sure he would. The man's been scuba diving for over 62 years and freediving longer than that. For the avid fisherman who harvests his/her own food they probably stick with it for a long time.
View attachment 381665 View attachment 381666

Here's some cool history. Clearwater, Florida 1954.

Ray Odor IS DA MAN! I just wish he still sold spearing gear.

I think a lot of factors contribute:
1) a true love of diving whatever the type
2) friends that do it - nothing like chatting about dives with a few buddies over a cold one or ten
3) money - a lot of folk realise how expensive it is to keep diving (buying their own gear and servicing it) so drift away.
4) lack of major issues occurring during/after a dive - friend used to be a keen diver but gave it up after a difficult time on surface waiting for a boat (lost buddy as well)
5) family/friends supportive - you need them to be accepting of your hobby/vocation given the investment in time/money.
6) good instructors that can strike a balance between good knowledge/skills and having fun on your courses no matter what the subject is

One of the guys I used to work for spearing commercially is in his 80's and still makes a few commercial spearing trips a year.He took off a bit for prostate cancer once.

I'd say over 80% of people I know are certified drop out with more spearfishermen staying in the sport that vacation,traveling or tech divers.

Divers who had a good comprehensive initial course and continued to take more training and dive locally.

I have been diving for 45 years, I run, I ski, hike etc. Diving is still my most favorite way to relax.

Today with the "fast course" approach to diving is counter productive.

Divers who had a good comprehensive initial course and continued to take more training and dive locally.

I have been diving for 45 years, I run, I ski, hike etc. Diving is still my most favorite way to relax.

Today with the "fast course" approach to diving is counter productive.

DIsagree about the course length. If I had been faced with an "old school" course with 12 weeks and harassment from instructors I would never have kept diving. 4 day 1 to 1 with my instructor worked perfectly with me.

I would agree about the taking more training and diving locally bits though.

Reactions: mdb
I've been diving for 4 decades am from NY was a Tech diver before that term was ever used it was originally Wreck diver dove pretty much most of the NY/NJ wrecks now I do mostly warm water Caribbean .

Learned a lot differently than the ways things are now done......12 week courses Basic and Advanced ...mentoring....no real specialty courses back then learned through experience and those that came before us.

Through the years I have become an instructor but stopped teaching when the standards were lowered

I'm still diving and enjoying it and lots of people who started out with me back then are also still diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom