What type of socks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am fairly new to diving. I have had bad blisters in the past from ill-fitting borrowed full-foot fins. Last dive trip I bought neoprene booties. They are much better but after several dives I still got a bit of chafing along my heels where the seams run along.
I think you're putting bandaids on top of bandaids here and the solution is to get your own fins that fit properly. Especially if you've had problems before, you may just have some of those uncooperative feet that want to be treated nicer. If you're relying on random full foot rental fins you will never be sure you're going to wind up with something you're comfortable in.

Often booties don't fit that well in full foot fins, or make then a little less secure because the thickness of the sole is pushing your foot out from where it should be. Full foot fins are a good place for socks alone, if you need them. Booties are better with open heel fins.

Full foot fins can be nice if you're only doing boat diving and they're generally lighter and cheaper. They're common rentals exactly because they're cheaper and customers don't (theoretically) need booties too. But open heel fins with booties are more versatile, much better if you so any sort of shore diving. I suggest buying open heel fins unless you want to wind up with a couple pairs of fins (which is ok too. :wink:

I think you're putting bandaids on top of bandaids here and the solution is to get your own fins that fit properly.

sorry Damselfish, I guess I didn't describe my original problem correctly. I WAS relying on random rental full-foot fins and quickly realized that was a bad choice. I had just started a cruise and had 3 more days of diving left in other ports. So I bought boots and open heel fins at the dive shop in Virgin Islands. They are a good fit actually, I wore them for my remaining dives and had no more problems except that bit of rubbing along the back seam of the boot where the heel strap is snug. Someone told me that thin socks would help, so I thought I would get some advice and buy some this year BEFORE leaving on vacation, esp as I will be diving for 2 weeks.
Thanks anyway, and you are right, it certainly is better to have your own stuff that fits properly rather than rely on pot luck.

ah, well that's much different than I was thinking! Yeah, lycra fin socks if it seems slippery would work better, or the real thin neoprene if it seems a little padding would help more. The neoprene won't really slide. I have some Darlexx ones that are lycra on the outside and fleecy on the inside, but those might be harder to find. Stuff like dress socks can help in a pinch but I don't think they'd be as good.

One thing, if your LDS doesn't have them, you might be able to find something very similar at a ski shop locally.

I wear some cycling socks under my booties, and they work pretty well, and dry quickly. They are made from synthetic material, and the seams are done well to avoid any chafing. I believe running socks would work as well, but I'm a biker, not a runner.

I just did 41 dives in Bonaire, and I didn't have a problem with my feet inside the booties.

Tom

I went to my lds today to see what they had in stock or could order. To my surprise, the shop owner directed me elsewhere. He explained that, as had been suggested in some posts answering my query, the best thing to buy would be polypropylene sock liners. He said they are commonly available and cheap at sporting goods stores selling hiking boots, or men's clothing stores selling work boots. Apparently they are sold there to keep feet dry inside heavy wool socks (maybe not so common in the south but very common here). He said they are not worth stocking in the dive shop because they would not sell nearly the quantity that these other stores sell. So I went to Mark's Work Warehouse, a Canadian chain that sells men's outdoor work clothes and work boots, and sure enough, got a 2-pack of polypropylene sock liners for $12 (made in the US). The packaging says "liner socks move friction away from feet by acting as a second layer of skin. No blisters and no problems". I have double-layer running socks that are guaranteed blister-free so I guess this works on the same principle (and I have never gotten a blister running while wearing them). Size medium fits ladies shoe sizes 6-10 and men's 5-9.5, so even better, my husband and I can share the package and each use one pair.:D

I went to my lds today to see what they had in stock or could order. To my surprise, the shop owner directed me elsewhere. He explained that, as had been suggested in some posts answering my query, the best thing to buy would be polypropylene sock liners. He said they are commonly available and cheap at sporting goods stores selling hiking boots, or men's clothing stores selling work boots. Apparently they are sold there to keep feet dry inside heavy wool socks (maybe not so common in the south but very common here). He said they are not worth stocking in the dive shop because they would not sell nearly the quantity that these other stores sell. So I went to Mark's Work Warehouse, a Canadian chain that sells men's outdoor work clothes and work boots, and sure enough, got a 2-pack of polypropylene sock liners for $12 (made in the US). The packaging says "liner socks move friction away from feet by acting as a second layer of skin. No blisters and no problems". I have double-layer running socks that are guaranteed blister-free so I guess this works on the same principle (and I have never gotten a blister running while wearing them). Size medium fits ladies shoe sizes 6-10 and men's 5-9.5, so even better, my husband and I can share the package and each use one pair.:D

That sounds like it will work. If you remember, let us know how they work for you after a dive trip. May go that route myself next time I need some.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom