What type of socks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Winterpeg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am fairly new to diving. I have had bad blisters in the past from ill-fitting borrowed full-foot fins. Last dive trip I bought neoprene booties. They are much better but after several dives I still got a bit of chafing along my heels where the seams run along.
I am planning 2 weeks in Cozumel in Feb :)D) and want to get something to line my boots with to prevent chafing. The boots fit quite well - close but not snug - so I will not have room for anything thick inside them. I just want something smooth, close-fitting and friction-free.
I have searched SB and found recommendations for neoprene socks, lycra socks, cotton socks, and even dress socks.:confused: Any suggestions as to which type or brand would be the best for my situation?
Thanks

I'd probably just use some polypro sock liners. Cheap, thin, should eliminate the chafing, easy to launder. I'd avoid cotton. Too clammy.

I'm a big fan of Henderson's Polyolefin Hot Socks. I wear them with my full-foot fins and they do a great job of preventing chafing and development of blisters. Some folks like them under their booties in colder water as well.

I bought some lycra dive socks for me and my wife. They are awesome. She got a bandana wrap to match that keeps her hair in place. Pricey at $15 a pair but between the bug bites and normal chaffing they were worth every penny in comfort. Everything from solid plain colors to tye dye. I got urban camo she got some white and orange pattern. I can't remember the name of who makes them. They are a tube sock thats made of lycra or nylon like an under armor type shirt. Worked great. Current blisters or rubbed big bites didn't get wore and no new ones after I started wearing them.

I wear neoprene socks inside my booties and I still get blisters. I've resorted to waterproof bandage tape on my heels....which I replace each dive day. I put it on in the morning before heading out and 99% of the time it stays put. I may even try duct tape to see if it works 100%.

I start before I have blisters, because if the blister starts for me, it's an uphill battle the rest of the dive trip.

you might try a thin pair of nylon dress socks under the neoprene sock.

I wear these under some 2 mm short booties(that I bought 1 size too big)......Custom made(colors etc) @ this site LiquidFit.Com ~ Wetsuits That Fit Like They Were Poured On You.
IMG_1053005_edited-1.jpg
---call & ask for Carolyn(owner)......If I remember correctly they were like???$10.......

Thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions. I am going to try my LDS first and see if they stock any of the them. If not I will try online. I have time to order before my trip. You people on SB are great - ask a question and get a bunch of help within 24 hours.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom