What type of fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ideyboy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
hi all , new to the board , i have limited experiance with snorkeling in st lucia and the canary islands , i have NEVER worn fins before but in march my wife and i are having the trip of a lifetime to vilamendhoo in the maldives, i have sorted a mask and snorkel but require some fins , nearly all of my snorkeling will be on top of the sea , but i am told there is a fair current that runs along the island , a guy in my local store recomends the us diver trek fins , these fins will only be worn about two weeks every year as i am not into diving and in uk snorkeling is not hot, any recomendations thanks in advance , chris

look into rental fins, or borrow from someone else, no reason to spend money on something that won't be used but once

but whatever you get, you want something that is very flexible, stiff fins are bad on the surface

I'd recommend a good pair of full foot swim fins, not scuba fins. So, the paddle vs. split debate really shouldn't apply, since that debate on this board is more centered on how the dive version of those fins perform. Mares, Oceanic, Tusa, Churchill, as well as many others, all make swim fins. I like my Churchill Makapu's, but that's only because that's what I've used for years to body surf with. I doubt they're the best swim fin currently out there.

If you decide to not go with a swim fin I would recommend a split fin. Even though I know longer prefer them for SCUBA, if you only intend to snorkel with them I find them significantly easier to on the surface. Though, I am sure any fin should work. Definitely look into rental or better yet, borrowing, options...

Enjoy the trip!

go for TUSA Xpert zoom

Fins are very personal items of equipment, not least because they have to fit your feet, not somebody else's. It's wise to begin with your foot dimensions rather than a specific brand, whose foot pockets may suit your feet lengthwise but not in terms of width or height. Fins are only sized by foot length and each model is designed to cover a range of sizes, e.g. UK 10-12, not a single shoe size. The width and height of their foot pockets also vary from model to model, so make sure you try them on before purchase, preferably in the water. If your foot pockets are too loose, they will raise blisters or fall off. Too tight and they will generate cramps. Fit fins the same way as you would do a pair of shoes from which you expect years of comfortable use.

I have several pairs of fins and it has taken me years of searching to find ones that fit my long, broad feet comfortably. If you can't locate a pair in a size that fits your feet exactly, buy a pair that are slightly too big and wear fin socks, boots or booties for added bulk as well as warmth and protection. Wear this footwear when you first try on your fins to make sure you have a comfortable fit. Fin grips, three-way rubber straps worn over the ankle, heel and instep, can be bought to secure full-foot fins that are slightly too big:

sw_fin-grips_fg-30.jpg

Another method with slightly over-sized full-foot fins is to use insoles:

secret-w.jpg

Click on the above images to get a closer view. Only after you have solved the foot-fitting issue should you proceed to the other criteria, such as fin type, material and flexibility. Much will depend on your strength, stamina and the kind of snorkelling you intend to do. Fins are worn for power, manoeuvrability or endurance. Despite claims to the contrary, few if any single models combine these characteristics in equal proportion. As a snorkeller, you have a wide range of choice when it comes to fin type, you don't have to follow the scuba diver's preference for open-heel fins or the freediver's commitment to long-bladed full-foot fins. For what it's worth, I snorkel here in the UK with old-fashioned, comfortable, rubber full-foot fins because that's the kind I started with back in the 1960s, that's what I remain happy with and I see no advantage in changing to more "modern" fins made of so-called "space-age" materials just for the sake of it. Of course, that doesn't mean you should follow my lead. Tracking down fins that suit you, not anybody else, is a personal odyssey and nobody can shorten the operation for you by recommending particular brands that suit a dive store salesman who may be more knowledgeable about scuba or freediving than snorkelling anyway.

Good luck with your quest for the perfect fins that accommodate your feet comfortably and suit your style of snorkelling!

I wouldn't worry too much about brand or split vs. blade. If you want to buy a pair, go to your local dive shop and ask to try on several pairs of snorkeling fins. You will know when you have found the right pair of fins because they will "fit" and feel comfortable on your foot.

Also, if you have any issues during the fitting, the dive shop can offer suggestions on boots, socks, etc. to make the fitting go faster.

Just seen your note and presume you've probably been and come back by now. My wife and I were there for our honeymoon in September 2007 and it was absolutely fantastic. Our mentor with Euro Divers was Yuka Imada. Do you happen to know if she is still there?

Hope you had as good a time as we did.

Fins are very personal items of equipment, not least because they have to fit your feet, not somebody else's. It's wise to begin with your foot dimensions rather than a specific brand, whose foot pockets may suit your feet lengthwise but not in terms of width or height. Fins are only sized by foot length and each model is designed to cover a range of sizes, e.g. UK 10-12, not a single shoe size. The width and height of their foot pockets also vary from model to model, so make sure you try them on before purchase, preferably in the water. If your foot pockets are too loose, they will raise blisters or fall off. Too tight and they will generate cramps. Fit fins the same way as you would do a pair of shoes from which you expect years of comfortable use.

I have several pairs of fins and it has taken me years of searching to find ones that fit my long, broad feet comfortably. If you can't locate a pair in a size that fits your feet exactly, buy a pair that are slightly too big and wear fin socks, boots or booties for added bulk as well as warmth and protection. Wear this footwear when you first try on your fins to make sure you have a comfortable fit. Fin grips, three-way rubber straps worn over the ankle, heel and instep, can be bought to secure full-foot fins that are slightly too big:

View attachment 53927

Another method with slightly over-sized full-foot fins is to use insoles:

View attachment 53928

Click on the above images to get a closer view. Only after you have solved the foot-fitting issue should you proceed to the other criteria, such as fin type, material and flexibility. Much will depend on your strength, stamina and the kind of snorkelling you intend to do. Fins are worn for power, manoeuvrability or endurance. Despite claims to the contrary, few if any single models combine these characteristics in equal proportion. As a snorkeller, you have a wide range of choice when it comes to fin type, you don't have to follow the scuba diver's preference for open-heel fins or the freediver's commitment to long-bladed full-foot fins. For what it's worth, I snorkel here in the UK with old-fashioned, comfortable, rubber full-foot fins because that's the kind I started with back in the 1960s, that's what I remain happy with and I see no advantage in changing to more "modern" fins made of so-called "space-age" materials just for the sake of it. Of course, that doesn't mean you should follow my lead. Tracking down fins that suit you, not anybody else, is a personal odyssey and nobody can shorten the operation for you by recommending particular brands that suit a dive store salesman who may be more knowledgeable about scuba or freediving than snorkelling anyway.

Good luck with your quest for the perfect fins that accommodate your feet comfortably and suit your style of snorkelling!

You brought up a great point about fit when choosing fins, but the right foot pocket is even more important.

Fins with full foot pockets, or open heeled fins that extend off your toe work as extensions of your foot. Force Fins fit over the top of your foot and your foot and toes are free to flex and point with each kick. Have you ever seen a Force Fin foot pocket?

Bob Evans designs fins to work as extensions of your upper leg and body. They allow you to be an aquatic being, instead of one who translates their land motions by walking through water. A more complete explanation starts here Force Fin Then you can choose the blade style that fits your personality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom