What type of boat to buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubar, the ladder is from Garlick as is the bracket. We ordered the bracket from Charlotte Wilcox from www.reddenmarine.com .

The bracket is fairly expensive costing more than the ladder. It is a heavy piece of stainless angle and it does a wonderful job of supporting me even in doubles. I weigh 185 pounds. The swim platfom on the Whaler (and I am sorry, I cannot speak for any other boat type but my own so if that means by using my boat as an example that I am saying my boat is best then so be it--I don't care) is very sturdy and rigid though somewhat small. It is easy to step on the ladder, come up a step, remove fins and hand or toss aboard and then step up. If it is rough then I use the engine to help balance me--very easy. I do recommend the bracket for this type of install. I could have installed the ladder directly to the transom on the other side but I am installing trim tabs and if I had done that the ladder would have hit the tabs. One thing--you MUST remember to remove the ladder before getting underway or something will break. Because I am abscent minded I am going to get their breakaway attachment or make my own. The ladder does float--lol. I have to say, this single pole ladder is as easy or easier to use than some of the large flip down diver ladders. Why--go ahead and get mad because I am saying it is better--again I don't care---the reason I think it is better is because it can be ascended with fins still on. Very nice for solo diving.

Ladder stowed for rough going beside the console on provided brackets:

DSCF0031.jpg

Ladder up for transit from dive site to dive site:

DSCF0033.jpg

Ladder down for diver recovery:

DSCF0032.jpg

These pics are for scubar et al, anyone interested in arguing I don't care. Oh, I kept the OEM ladder in place because it is useful for beaching and swimming, diving, the Garlick is much, much better and much stronger. Folded it causes no problems so no reason to remove it. Other boats may require different rigging out..

Disclaimer: Do nothing I say, I am insane, I don't think safety is job number one, I don't like bow riders, I don't like Bayliners, I dive with double hose and I don't do DIR so take everything I say with a grain of salt and oh, my boat is better.

DSCF0103-1.jpg

N

I'm looking at purchasing a new boat before the spring of 08 and looking for some input. My requirements are:

Big enough for 2 people do dive off
$15,000 or less
Able to handle moderate chop

I live on the Great Lakes but am conservative. I don't need anything to handle 6' swells. I've checked out different boats - from the Bayliner 175 to fishing type boats. Both seem to have goods and bads.

I'd really appreciate any input from everyone so that I can find the right boat.

Of all the boats that I have dived out of, the RIBs have been the most comfortable from which to roll into the water. Better make sure your wing is large enough to float your gear, though, since you need to remove your gear and let it float in the water while your launch yourself back into the RIB.

After watching the movie Miami Vice however, I think it would be really great to own a 1000 HP go-fast speedboat!

Never said I could spell, when I did my graduate thesis, Geology, my major advisor was put to de test, turned out he could not spoell either. Worsen den dat me cannot type and I cans knot see up close eenymore. Sorry use will haven tah tryed harde'n then that to rile'n me et ya Matt. Hey, when you gonna pest a pic of that knew bot, I is got an hank'n to be ah see'n it if use done minded.

N'nd--I is from de soff but I ken shoot the eyeballs out yon yankee at two hunert yards, pah tooeee ;/

Never said I could spell, when I did my graduate thesis, Geology, my major advisor was put to de test, turned out he could not spoell either. Worsen den dat me cannot type and I cans knot see up close eenymore. Sorry use will haven tah tryed harde'n then that to rile'n me et ya Matt. Hey, when you gonna pest a pic of that knew bot, I is got an hank'n to be ah see'n it if use done minded.

N'nd--I is from de soff but I ken shoot the eyeballs out yon yankee at two hunert yards, pah tooeee ;/

Nemrod, if you will go to your local Barnes & Noble bookstore, and buy a copy of Lt-Gen. James Longstreet's MEMOIRS FROM MANASSAS TO APPOMATTOX, you will read that it was the courage, aggressiveness, and determination of the Confederate soldiers that led to their success in battle over the Federals.

NOT their ability to shoot better. Both sides had "sharpshooters."

And by then, their rifles were accurate to 600 yds and their cannon to a mile.

Of all the boats that I have dived out of, the RIBs have been the most comfortable from which to roll into the water. Better make sure your wing is large enough to float your gear, though, since you need to remove your gear and let it float in the water while your launch yourself back into the RIB.

Better make sure of that whether you have a RIB or not. If it can't support your rig,
it can't support YOU at depth. A BC should be able to float a full tank and all your
lead.

Nemrod, if you will go to your local Barnes & Noble bookstore, and buy a copy of Lt-Gen. James Longstreet's MEMOIRS FROM MANASSAS TO APPOMATTOX, you will read that it was the courage, aggressiveness, and determination of the Confederate soldiers that led to their success in battle over the Federals.

NOT their ability to shoot better. Both sides had "sharpshooters."

And by then, their rifles were accurate to 600 yds and their cannon to a mile.

And I said otherwise where? Like I said, you guys just like to argue :).

I simply made a statement of fact and where ever did you get the idea we all surrendered, heck, someone verify that for me, you mean I am supposed to quit shooting at yankees--dangnabit. OBTW, shooting "AT" and shooting are to different things, at least from my neck of the woods.

FathomDiver, wow, what a boat, I love that thing, want to trade? What kind of sonar you have or does your area need one to find your best dive locals?

Did you know that a coastie tried to tell me that the pirate flag was illegal whilst giving us a safety check, then he saw the Battle Flag and I guess thought he was dealing with some hick so why bother--we passed the check. Can you imagine that, illegal! Darn that, it was during the premier of the second Pirates of the Carrib. We went to the showing and everybody was in pirate gear, I thought it appropriate and fun. Fly the Jolly Roger proudly mate--I don't think it is illegal.

N

And I said otherwise where? Like I said, you guys just like to argue :).

I simply made a statement of fact and where ever did you get the idea we all surrendered, heck, someone verify that for me, you mean I am supposed to quit shooting at yankees--dangnabit. OBTW, shooting "AT" and shooting are to different things, at least from my neck of the woods.

FathomDiver, wow, what a boat, I love that thing, want to trade? What kind of sonar you have or does your area need one to find your best dive locals?

Did you know that a coastie tried to tell me that the pirate flag was illegal whilst giving us a safety check, then he saw the Battle Flag and I guess thought he was dealing with some hick so why bother--we passed the check. Can you imagine that, illegal! Darn that, it was during the premier of the second Pirates of the Carrib. We went to the showing and everybody was in pirate gear, I thought it appropriate and fun. Fly the Jolly Roger proudly mate--I don't think it is illegal.

N

Yankees can shoot back pretty good. Just don't forget. The South has no corner on the market for sharpshooters, never has, never will. And yankees in Illinois hunt squirrels pretty good too, just like Southern boys further south. And how hard is it to hit a 'possum down there anyway? And does it taste anything like chicken??

On your question about the jolly roger, all I know is that originally it was meant as a plague flag. Pirates adopted it as a ruse to keep interceptors and prying eyes away. Then some of the notorious pirates began to customize the plague flag for their own particular ships.

I would believe the Coasties. They should know their jobs. They are in charge of inland waters. With all the dope and the terrorist threats going thru their waters, they are likely not in the mood to be messed with.

I still vote for a RIB, strictly for scuba purposes. But on the other hand, if I was trying to impress the ladies, then a Miami style speedboat would be the ticket. Imagine launching from the dock in Florida after breakfast and having dinner in Havana! They do Go Fast!

(No, not Havana Louisiana!)

The only problems with an inflatible which are pretty much not applicable to a RIB is bringing it to pressure each time and additionally either installing the engine or if carried on a trailer supporting the engine and transom with the tube pressure reduced. As I said, not really a problem with a RIB but then a RIB cannot roll up into a closet. A RIB has all ofthe problems a conventional glass boat has, storage, more weight and the reduced floor room compared to a glass boat but still, they are very appealing aren't they. I think we are going ot see more RIBs and conventional "rubber" boats in the future. I think thye are finally being discovered in North America. Expense and long term durablty are still questions to consider as is resale.

As to the coasties and the pirate flag, I was fool'n again, he did say he thought they were illegal--for pirate ships---we are not a pirate ship. He was from Nebraska I think so what does he know anyways and just out of boot camp or whatever they go to. They were nice and we enjoyed our visit with them. They were stopping every other boat for safety harrasement checks. We have already side tracked into who can shoot better, yankees or rebs, I vote rebs and I think I will avoid the whole para military/homeland security debate and all that and who is in "no mood." Well, y'all have a nice day.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom