What type of boat to buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DOkie

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking at purchasing a new boat before the spring of 08 and looking for some input. My requirements are:

Big enough for 2 people do dive off
$15,000 or less
Able to handle moderate chop

I live on the Great Lakes but am conservative. I don't need anything to handle 6' swells. I've checked out different boats - from the Bayliner 175 to fishing type boats. Both seem to have goods and bads.

I'd really appreciate any input from everyone so that I can find the right boat.

I have a 18' rib (rigid inflatable boat) with 115 hp evinrude.It will dive 4 people great and handle any sea that you might fine yourself in. I got mine cheap but new they are big bucks and 2nd hand just a smaller amount of big bucks. After having this one I will stay with a rib, I watch all kinds of craft go offshore and for my needs this is the best choice. There are couple on guys up your way who frequent the RIBnet site, maybe there is one near you so you could see for your self

A used Twin V fits your bill.

look on line...find Nemrod around here too.

Look into fishing type walkarounds. I've been diving a Grady this year and love the open cockpit. I like center consoles too but the "cuddy" a walkaround offers is great dry, lockable storage and the usable head keeps the ladies happy. In your price range you should be able to find a nice used one up to 25 feet here in the Great Lakes.

I've got a Larson DC 204 center console for sale that's well within your price range I'll sell. I've got too many boats. It's got a 150hp Suzuki injected motor and a brand new depth finder.

If it is not a RIB (Rigid Inflatable Boat), then make sure it has a good ladder with which you can climb back into it. Not all fiberglass boats have workable ladders. Scuba gear on your back enhances the problem.

A RIB is nice because you can ditch your gear on the surface, then easily pull it into the boat after you launch yourself back in.

I know it upsets folks but I would avoid low end boats like Bayliner, especially the low end --end--of Bayliner. No way to spend more money and get less than with boats--study hard and long. Given your budget of only 15,000 dollars and consider that a Merc/Yamaha/Honda 150 is going to run 12,000 to 15,000 dollars alone you see what your up against. Perhaps some careful used boat shopping or delay another year and save some more cash.

This is not Boston Whaler vs everything else post, I like Whalers, always have and they are expenisive for their size and also well known for their capabilities but there are any number of quality boats on the market.

Mako is owned by Bass Pro and has dropped considerably in quality for example, Bayliner (and Boston Whaler and several others) were purchased by Brunswick and today Bayliner is not half bad but still a cheap low end boat. Grady White, EdgeWater, etc are well respected, there are a bunch so the main thing is to educate yourself. Go to www.thehulltruth.com .

Here is a pic of our dive ladder on our Boston Whaler Outrage. We also kept the swim ladder as you can see.

DSCF0255.jpg

Here is my wife and I diving from it about 15 miles out in the Gulf.

HPIM0410.jpg

Here at dockside:

DSCF0342.jpg

Here you can see the Roll Control tank mounts and dive ladder stowed on the side of the console:

DSCF0264-1.jpg

An Outrage gets some air:

flying.jpg

A side scan image of the Liberty Ship at Destin:

S00016.jpg

The helm:

DSCF0078.jpg

I only show these pics as help to let you see that you can dive two or even four people from a small 19 footer on BIG water with some common sense or shall I say sea sense. Good luck.

N

Dokie, I have a 15 ft Achilles inflatable with a 35 hp johnson and trailer for sale for $4000. The boat and motor are early 90's model ,but both in excellent shape with very little use. The boat has been stored in a trailer, fully inflated and protected from the weather since 1996. I had it in the lake in June, running the motor for a couple hours. The trailer is a steel frame with aluminum skin with seven compartments on each side to carry scuba gear. I used it for diving in the lakes here in NM and in the ocean. PM me if interested. marknawman@msn.com

I dove the Yukon of San Diego with a guy who had a 17' Boston Whaler. It worked fin for two divers. He had a Tupperware type box (3' X 2') to store gear that made a nice seat.

The USC research facility on Catalina Island uses 15' and 17' Whalers as well for their marine research divers and there are always two divers per boat.

Forgot to give price on my Larson DC 204-----$8,000.00

Back
Top Bottom