What type of boat to buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wellcraft says the Sportsman 220 in the pic is a dual purpose boat. A class of boat often called a dual console. In the picture it did not appear to incorporate the design elements of offshore capable boats but on their page it shows a lot more. Wellcraft is a good boat, go for it if you like it, I like the outboard motor on it too.

http://www.wellcraft.com/

Go to the above website and look under the Sportsman 220. Notice that the lady piloting the boat is standing. Notice the aft deck appears to be self bailing. Good then.

I have been told over and over to be wary of pointy bow riders, to the extent that description fits then I would apply that warning. If the shoe fits, wear it, "ruffled" or not.

N

Thanks for all of the input guys! Ended up purchasing the Bayliner 175. LOVE it. It's great for what we wanted in our price range. Easy to dive off of, nice to lay around on between dives, and fun for our kids. Have had it out a bunch of times, and always keep an eye on the weather report and make it a habit to listen to the marine radio once in a while. We aren't ones to go out in bad weather or pending bad weather regardless of the boat size, make, etc. Have had it out in some pretty rough conditions and it handled excellent. (We have owned boats before).

P.S. I like the comfy seats... They fold out to a lounger and it saves on rug burn... (grin)

Boats are a little bit like pick up trucks and/or bikes. For one reason or another a person gets hooked with a particular type and that is IT. Actually the best boat subject is also similar to the jacket BC vs backplate/wing.

I do agree with Nemrod about "no boat is better than any boat". My husband and I waited an eternity to get the "perfect" dive boat and wouldn't consider settle for any other in the meantime.

Center console type boats are so very popular, but I consider them torture vessels. If it is a bright summer day, you'll cook from exposure. If it is a stormy one, then you're miserable until either you get out of the boat or the storm passes. Forget about it during winter days. And what's with just having a bit of space on this side another bit over there, then some on the stern, nah... definetly not for me.

I know people make tons of dives from those boats, but just like there is only BW's for some, for me the boat has to be seaworthy AND provide personal protection.
Before getting a boat I would do kayak dives but I only considered them as lazy beach dives.

Here is plenty of space for dive gear on the deck

A ladder that can be used no matter what is the sea state

Attachments

• BackView.jpg
    BackView.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 158
  • ladder.jpg
    ladder.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 134
  • Parker.jpg
    Parker.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 157
If you actually carefully read my posts you will see I never said "my boat is best." What I did say was to carefully seperate supposed needs from actual needs and to study carefully before purchasing to make sure what you get is what you really want and suitable for the area of intended use. There is a huge amount of junk in the boating market and it is expensive junk, patience and self education go a long way to avoiding it.

It is unfortunate I don't have six or seven different boats, then I could post pics of them all but, like Ana posts a pic of her Parker and says why it is "best" to her, I post pics of our Whaler because it is what we have. If I had the Parker or the SeaCat or the WellCraft, I would show them, alas, I only have one boat. This is a nice boat, not sure I could tow it with a Tacoma:

DSCF0411.jpg

I have no idea where I found this picture, I kept it because it was purty. It is of a wave on Lake Superior.

7Bwave2jb.jpg

Glad we did not see any of those when we were on the Lakes.

Not sure where I found this picture either, I saved it because I like the colors and it reminds me of us when we were kids, in fact, that could be us, sure looks like my neighbor and brother and me:

Lead_Front_5.jpg

N

Lead_Front_5.jpg

Change that white Mercury motor to a faded red Mercury motor. Add mask, fans and snorkel. And those would be my younger years favorite past time. The water even looks like the Indian River.

If you actually carefully read my posts you will see I never said "my boat is best." .....

N

Ha ha, I don't know Nem...I sure always had this impression! I don't think anyone could ever dispute the hull of a Whaler.

I just bought my next boat..25' C-Dory Tomcat (catamaran) with twin 150 Suzuki's. I don't take delivery until March so it feels like forever away....45 square feet of cockpit space....fully enclosed pilot house that sleeps 4...nice ride in the chop with the cat air cushion...stand up head/hot shower...windlass...etc. Can't wait!

--Matt

Matt, give it a rest :wink:.

The new boat--wow---I bet your beside yourself having to wait and with winter coming too. When you get it put up some pics. And, yes, a Whaler is a better boat than a Bayliner--now--are you happy :). You said you were going to get a new boat some time back, congratulations. Hey, I bet it is better than a Bayliner don't you think? I bet it is more seaworthy and comfortable too.

EastEndDiver, what gives with that, why not dive from it--is there a reason or is it that local waters are not suitable for diving? Very nice but it needs a dive ladder don't you think to set it off?

Some of you just like to argue and some of it is the PC, I am good, your good, we are all good infection that society has. I am sorry, a plywood and carpet decked boat built on wooden stringers half way glassed into the chop glass hull is not a quality boat. If you want to think so and spend your hard earned money on one then have it but your only hurting yourself and fooling yourself and not for long because in a few seasons it will rot apart. Boat yards are full of that junk, cute little stick on graphics on the side with waves and stuff so fancy looking. All flash and no value. A quality boat, new or used, is the better option and if it means having to sacrifice or save a little longer to obtain it then that is the better route for a wise person. The gotta have it now, PC crowd that thinks eveyone, every idea and every thing is equal--fine--go get the cheapie and hope for the best. Go ahead and fool people, tell them what they want to hear, mislead them and send them off misinformed. G'day.

N

Nemrod I rarely dive up here anymore.I have become a warm water diver.Dive ladder is not needed ,what you probably can't see in the picture is the transom door which opens from the water level up and the steps underwater from the water line down and the inside handles when the transom door is open.

Or you could skip the plastic boat and buy something that will really last.:D 1965 Shepherd built in Niagra on the Lake bought well within your budget.

However - don't even think about this unless you have lots and lots and lots of spare time, skills re wood/electrical/mechanical and love to work on boats - and know a good wood boat surveyor or really know what you are doing. Saw this one on the dock and fell in love, the previous owner just wanted to get rid of it as he had none of these skills and the boat was deteriorating quickly. Last winter was fixing it for use this summer - this winter will be refinishing the hull and upper superstructure.

It is possible to dive from, but not easy, as climbing over the transom from the swim grid is tricky, and the back roll from the side is a long drop.

Attachments

• BoatSmugglersCovesmall.jpg
    BoatSmugglersCovesmall.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 171

Back
Top Bottom