What type of boat to buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also don't want to buy something that will irritate me and/or not do what I want it to.

I wish I could find such a boat.

Seriously, boating has brought great pleasure and uncountable memories to my family. I cannot fathom life without a boat.

I imagine my children laughing and remembering, long after I am gone, the fun times we spent on the boat.

In a normal world we tend to remember the bad things, somehow overshadowing the pleasant times.

With boats, at least for me, the aggravations, mistakes, breakdowns..........well somehow that is just all part of it. I will never regret the countless hours (and dollars) I have spent repairing and improving my boats.

I don't recommend boat ownership for everyone. As a matter of fact I suggest anyone contemplating a first time boat ownership, look long and hard at all that goes with it. There is no way, at least in my experience, that you will ever own a boat without some irritations and mishaps along the way. My boat seems to do things I don't want it to most every trip!

But if you are ready for it and have done your research, it can be one of the most rewarding purchases of your life.

I have a variation on the original question. I, too, am looking for a boat. Like everyone else on the planet, I don't want to spend any more than necessary. But, I also don't want to buy something that will irritate me and/or not do what I want it to. My ideal price range is $20-$25K, but I haven't made the mistake of getting married yet, so if I need to go to $35 or $40K to get something I'm happy with I'm willing and able to do that. My requirements are that my 2005 2 wheel drive 1500 Silverado can pull it (it has the towing package), it has enough space to store the dive gear for 4 people and also allow them to suit up without hitting each other in the head with tanks, I'm able to comfortably fish out of it, and it doesn't have a Mercury engine. Sorry Mercury lovers, but for some reason, my Dad and Uncle are dead against Mercs so I have to trust their judgment on them! I live in Tampa Bay, Florida, so it also needs to be a boat that can handle saltwater and some ocean chop. Any ideas on good boats to look at? Any suggestions on other considerations or changes to these considerations? If I was just looking for a fishing boat, I'm confident I know enough about boats to choose a good one, but I've never dived off any boat but a charter boat, and I'm not looking to buy that large of a boat, so the "divabilty" part of my boat search is foreign territory to me...

My opinion: There are alot of great boats available in your price range and everyone has a favorite. It really just boils down to a few features:

Beam- wide beam = plenty of room
Exit/Entry- Find one that will make exiting and getting back on the boat easy and safe. You don't want to have to climb over seats to get back into the boat.
Storage- Is there room for tanks and your other gear to be stowed safely without everything bouncing and rolling around. You don't want to have to step around and over everything to move around before or after your dive.

Find something that satisfies these 3 requirements and you will be happy. :)

Wow, a lot of great information on this thread. I am currently looking for a boat this year.

I'm an average scuba diver who has a profound interest in underwater metal detecting and need a boat to hit spots unavailable to me due to lack of beech front places to swim from. Here are some of my primary needs and thoughts. Maybe you all can suggest something that may be suitable for me.

I am a coldwater diver doing inland lakes in Michigan no bigger than a thousand acres, with about 150 acres being the norm.

I do not intend to dive more than 40 feet, as most of the rings and old coins I recover are in the average of 10 to 20 foot depth range.

I do not need speed although I have 2 children currently 4 and 7 years old who may like to go tubing.

I plan on having a maximum of 3 divers at any time with 1 or 2 being the norm.

I have never owned a boat before, but would be willing to spend about 15,000 for something that suits my needs. I may go as high as 18,000.

I do not intend on going out in inclement weather, and have not seen any large waves in the lakes I've been researching. I may need to get close to shore, and park it in 10 to 15 foot water.

My maximum ungeared play around use will be about 6 or 7 people, wife, 2 small children, step mom, 2 friends and myself. But the average will be 2 to 5.

I was thinking a 21 foot pontoon boat may suite my needs, but as always, I am in my research phase and any input would be welcome.

I am basically looking for a stable dive platform that can hold my gear and children in comfort for a few hour on mellow inland lake water in Michigan. Inland meaning small lakes, not the Great ones that surround me.

Thanx again for any input, Jeff

I dive off a Hydrasports 212 WA. Small boat but with a beam larger than boats 6' longer. It's
8'9" and I can dive 4 people off it easily. It's got a small cabin to get out of the weather or just to throw stuff. Plenty of room in back for 6-8 tanks with space enough to gear up comfortably. Went for 39K 3 years ago with yamaha F150. Could probably find a used one for half that now.

Jeff , your needs are similar to mine.

My kids are grown up, but tubing & fishing are their list "to do's"
Suggest you think about 4 divers, (2 up/2 down buddy teams)
I am afair weather diver also and do not go out when it's rough, but conditions can changes, unxepectedly.
I to was looking at a pontton boat, lots of deck space,
but wanted something that would handle better on Lake Ontario.
I have several friend & colleages in Michigan, & it can have it's rough days also.
I opted for a 21 ft deck boat. (see my new boat on page 13 of this thread)
I paid $19.5K for it its' a 2001 boat.

I do not need speed although I have 2 children currently 4 and 7 years old who may like to go tubing.

I plan on having a maximum of 3 divers at any time with 1 or 2 being the norm.

I have never owned a boat before, but would be willing to spend about 15,000 for something that suits my needs. I may go as high as 18,000.

I do not intend on going out in inclement weather, and have not seen any large waves in the lakes I've been researching. I may need to get close to shore, and park it in 10 to 15 foot water.

My maximum ungeared play around use will be about 6 or 7 people, wife, 2 small children, step mom, 2 friends and myself. But the average will be 2 to 5.

I was thinking a 21 foot pontoon boat may suite my needs, but as always, I am in my research phase and any input would be welcome.

I am basically looking for a stable dive platform that can hold my gear and children in comfort for a few hour on mellow inland lake water in Michigan. Inland meaning small lakes, not the Great ones that surround me.

Thanx again for any input, Jeff

I am a boater and agree that a deckboat will probably best fit your needs. They are available with outboards and I/Os. I think you should look in the 21-23 foot range. That will give you room for gear when diving and for people when out for water sports. Consider one with a full canopy top to keep the sun off when it gets real hot out. Places to look online are Boats for Sale, New Boats, Used Boats, Boat Parts - iboats.com, New Boats and Used Boats for Sale by Owner and from Dealers, New and Used Yachts for Sale - YachtWorld.com. Don't get crazy wanting the first one you see. Be sure to go for a sea trial on whatever you get serious about. I am a regular at www.crowniehq.net, MidwestBoatParty.com, and Rinker Boat Owners Group, BoatingABC.com - Boating Message Board - Boating Forum - Boating Informatoin. Feel free to ask about any question you might have on any boat you're considering on any of those forums and you will get some great information. Good luck shopping.

Very nice and congrats! Looks like the weather should be nice this weekend. Safe voyages.

wow i like that top alot on it. That boat should do you great on MI, I dive usually a 23 proline, 21 proline, 19 sailfish or 23 key west. For staying dry i reccomend not getting a key west but they do tend to be kinda cheap. LIke what was said earlier plan on 4 divers 4 gear sets as the min, a cooler for refreshments and you should be fine. the sailfish we push the weight limit on so i woudnt recommend something in that size category.

Back
Top Bottom