What type of boat to buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll side with the captain on this one. My boat weighs just under 25k and I wanted every bit of it a few weeks back when the weather changed quick while we were diving and we came back in 8-10 footers. It didn't handle much different than it does in dead calm weather.
Gene

I think at 25K you might want to call it a ship :wink:

Very interesting thread. I bought my 88' Shamrock 20 before I got into diving, but I find it works pretty well for up to four divers. I've only dived off of it in fresh water, but have taken it with me to Sunset Beach for the last couple of years. We typically run on the intercoastal between Bald Head Island and Myrtle Beach, but occasionally go out into open water through Little River.

The only significant modifications I've made have been to replace the original bimini with a two-piece, full length setup and add teak fold-down bench seating at the stern. I plan to add some Roll-Control tank racks at some point. I like the protection from the elements that the cuddy cabin layout affords, and the lockable storage is handy when you have to leave the boat docked and go ashore.

The Ford 302 is reasonable on the fuel, usually 7-10 gallons per hour, running at 18-20 knots. I like the keel drive and not having an engine hanging off the back. I do need to come up with a decent dive ladder set up. The swim platform is at water level and its not to hard for me to get out, if I remove the dive gear first.

I would have gone with the Shamrock 26, but that exceeded my towing and storage capabilities.

Attachments

• Shamrock2.jpg
    Shamrock2.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 111
  • shamrock3.jpg
    shamrock3.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Shamrock1.jpg
    Shamrock1.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 89
That is a beautiful boat Backscatter. N

Thanks, I got started in sailboats, and needed to find a certain aesthetic when I went to buy a powerboat.

This wooden boat is another one that I really like, but I'm not sure what kind it is. The other boat is what I'd REALLY like for a dive boat though...:D.

Attachments

• sharonbose.jpg
    sharonbose.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 101
  • fastboat.jpg
    fastboat.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 120
Definitely not a ship, and I got for a very good price. It's a 37' Repco, the first fiberglass lobster style work boat. I was told the manufacturer to one of the hulls to a mall in Maine with several sledge hammers to let the local lobsterman pound on it so they could convince them it was better than the wooden hulls that they were using. It has been a great dive boat so far.......
Gene

That's nice vessel. I like the idea of using a "work type" boat for diving. Durability and work space is always an issue with divers. Its nice to not be banging into each other. I like my space.

To be honest, I know about powerboats about as much as pigs know about flying. Right now I own a sailboat but was looking at some options to get out on short notice or when I don't have more then a day available (not that I ever have more) and that means a powerboat - the sailboats are to SLOW.
I am not looking to invest a lot (preferably as close to ZERO as possible - that's how cheap i am, kidding, I'm just not in the position of getting out there and buying something that would satisfy my taste). This boat came up in a recent local add. I've seen it and it's currently set up for lobstering (winch and all other stuff). The engine seams to be in good condition (stock compression, 3 cylinder outboard), the boat is cosmetically rough and I don't know what should I look for structurally (other then soft spots which are not present).
I was just wondering, is it worth it? Now, as I said, knowledge is absent from my luggage so any advice would be appreciated (I don't plan to start diving in a puddle just so I can use the boat, it's either ocean or not at all).
Here's the link to a picture of the boat: Free Image Hosting at AllYouCanUpload.com
P.S. I dive in the same conditions as the boat was previously used in + at this moment I have my eyes on a 115 outboard which I can use on the boat if I buy it.

I have a variation on the original question. I, too, am looking for a boat. Like everyone else on the planet, I don't want to spend any more than necessary. But, I also don't want to buy something that will irritate me and/or not do what I want it to. My ideal price range is $20-$25K, but I haven't made the mistake of getting married yet, so if I need to go to $35 or $40K to get something I'm happy with I'm willing and able to do that. My requirements are that my 2005 2 wheel drive 1500 Silverado can pull it (it has the towing package), it has enough space to store the dive gear for 4 people and also allow them to suit up without hitting each other in the head with tanks, I'm able to comfortably fish out of it, and it doesn't have a Mercury engine. Sorry Mercury lovers, but for some reason, my Dad and Uncle are dead against Mercs so I have to trust their judgment on them! I live in Tampa Bay, Florida, so it also needs to be a boat that can handle saltwater and some ocean chop. Any ideas on good boats to look at? Any suggestions on other considerations or changes to these considerations? If I was just looking for a fishing boat, I'm confident I know enough about boats to choose a good one, but I've never dived off any boat but a charter boat, and I'm not looking to buy that large of a boat, so the "divabilty" part of my boat search is foreign territory to me...

I have a variation on the original question. I, too, am looking for a boat. Like everyone else on the planet, I don't want to spend any more than necessary. But, I also don't want to buy something that will irritate me and/or not do what I want it to. My ideal price range is $20-$25K, but I haven't made the mistake of getting married yet, so if I need to go to $35 or $40K to get something I'm happy with I'm willing and able to do that. My requirements are that my 2005 2 wheel drive 1500 Silverado can pull it (it has the towing package), it has enough space to store the dive gear for 4 people and also allow them to suit up without hitting each other in the head with tanks, I'm able to comfortably fish out of it, and it doesn't have a Mercury engine. Sorry Mercury lovers, but for some reason, my Dad and Uncle are dead against Mercs so I have to trust their judgment on them! I live in Tampa Bay, Florida, so it also needs to be a boat that can handle saltwater and some ocean chop. Any ideas on good boats to look at? Any suggestions on other considerations or changes to these considerations? If I was just looking for a fishing boat, I'm confident I know enough about boats to choose a good one, but I've never dived off any boat but a charter boat, and I'm not looking to buy that large of a boat, so the "divabilty" part of my boat search is foreign territory to me...

I have a 2004 26' Seaswirl walk-around with hardtop, 225 Yamaha fourstroke that I bought new in 04. Does well offshore with 4 divers with full gear. At first I wished I got twin engines going offshore, but not since gas went ridiculous.
Self bailing cockpit, roomy cabin with sink and stove, enclosed marine head.
I haul it with my 99 Chevy 1500 4x4, but I only haul 7 miles twice a year, in in the spring and out in the winter. Boat and motor set me back about 55K. I love the boat but I worship the Yamaha.
My neighbor has a 2000 21 foot model. The 21 or 23 foot model might interest you. Used (especially with fuel as high as it is) you could probably find one well equipped with low hours in your price range.

Seaswirl Boats

striper2601_7.jpg

More Pics

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom