What type of boat to buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I can see everyone has their opinions... so I will throw mine in.

1st...if it isn't 1/4" bottom welded aluminum...it wont last...where I am, logs tend to pop up unexpected from the current and sand beaches are few and far between, its nice to be able to do a bit of exploring above the water also so beaching tends to be a bit rough.

2nd...I haven't seen a boat yet that was made for "you". Like a house you buy what you will put up with...until you "build" what you really want. Believe it or not it is about the same price when you custom design the interior with the builder.
Someone like this shop makes life easy...
Campbell Series 20ft Walk Around Mini Cabin | Underwoodwelding.com

3rd...if it costs you a $100 a day in fuel...catch a charter you will spend less in the end.

and of course everyone agrees with the self bailing deck.

I cant imagine feeding some of the motors people put on boats...the 20' welded aluminum with center mini-cabin we use has a 90hp and will do 30mph with 4 divers and gear...a fiberglass would need at least 3X the power.

Good luck to all...

The only problem with light boats is they will get tossed around more than a heavier boat in rough water. Weight softens the ride when cutting through a rough chop.

I respect your statement captain...

I have to tell you we have the most confused (current driven) chop that can be 1' to some times 4'. This design cuts through it. Also they have been 60 miles offshore. Ask a BC or Alaskan logger what kind of boat brings him back home when the weather is nasty. I bet he says a welded aluminum.

Veriqster, I also am interested to know what kind of boat you are referring to, and more details about it.

I would be very surprised that a 70HP outboard could plane a glass hulled 22' deep v hull.

I have a 23' deep v hull (24.5 at transom) and it has a 200HP that is just adequate. I bought the boat used at a very good price, otherwise I would have gone 250 or even more.

I see 26 knots cruising at 4000 rpm and around 37 knots wot with a normal fishing load.

Y'all quit picking on the little blo-boat guy!

There is a boat that sort of meets his specs, the C Dory 22 foot center console, not really a deep vee but has a sharp entry and an efficient after section for planning on lower power engines.

Still, 70 miniscule horses on a 22 footer and a load of divers, nah, might as well run up a sheet or some will be walking the plank, matey, arrrrrrhhhh.

C-Dory Marine Group - 29' Venture Equipment

There ya go bubba.

N

U/W Ogre, those are nice boats. I've been looking at/googling welded Al boats, and hadn't run across that one. Unfortunately, there don't appear to be many used deep V welded Al boats out there. As Capt. points out, there are always compromises regardless of what boat you chose.

dsc2679 you are right. There are not many at all. What do you think of the price for what you get? I have to say there is not much you cant do with these boats.
If you are ever in CR, call first and they will set up a time to take you out in one...oh and drop me a line...bring your dive gear, might as well see how it works for diving.

O

That Campbell 20' looked pretty good. $23,600 in loonies was a lot more attractive with the exchange rate a few years ago.

U/W Ogre, The price is very reasonable. If I find myself in BC, I'll give them/you a shout. I dove once out of Naniamo (sp?) once, Dodd's passage, or something like that. Very nice place.

Ultimately, your third statement is very true. Charters may seem expensive but are MUCH less expensive, less time consuming, and fewer headaches than owning a boat.

Doug

\
Ultimately, your third statement is very true. Charters may seem expensive but are MUCH less expensive, less time consuming, and fewer headaches than owning a boat.

Doug

But your boat goes when and where you want it to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom