What training is required to become a PSD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BMETdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
I am still new to the sport so I know I will have a long way to go. Currently I am still OW but plan on getting AOW, Nitrox, Rescue, Deep and working my way up. At the same time I would be interested in diving as a career after I complete 20 in the military. If any one can explain what the best course of action to get to that level is probably over the next 5-10 years. I would appreciate it. Thanks Lee

What training ought to be required?
We could discuss that.
As for what training is required, that is as varied as there are PSD outfits across the country, and varies from "warm & breathing" to some very detailed and relevant requirements.
IOW you need to check with your local PSD organization to see what they require.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
What training ought to be required?
We could discuss that.
As for what training is required, that is as varied as there are PSD outfits across the country, and varies from "warm & breathing" to some very detailed and relevant requirements.
IOW you need to check with your local PSD organization to see what they require.
Rick

Ok what training would be recommended, being military I will be moving at least the next 10 years and figure once I am properly trained or at least competent I would look at the volunteer route to see if I am really interested.

My "Absolute Minimum" set of skills would include
Underwater Navigation
Low/No visibility underwater navigation
Low/No visibility search and recovery (including heavy lifts)
Rescue Diver
---
Local conditions will dictate additional training specific to the range of diving the local PSD group does.
Rick

DR-1 should be the bare minimum actaully beeded.

Some departments don't require anything and think OW is enough. If you run across one of those it is best to stay away and find one with better recuirments. Remember, the divers safety is at stake.

Another thing that happens is you need to be flexable. A lot of the Sport training you pounded into the gray matter will be changed or even eliminated when it comes to PSD work.

In most cases you need to be with an orgination first then get PSD training. Take your time. If you get the training now it will be expired by the time you get out. This training is expensive and only good for a short time unlike the diver certifications once you have it your good to go.

Good searching and thanks for serving.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
DR-1 should be the bare minimum actaully needed.

Gary was referring to a Dive Rescue 1 certification that is taught through Dive Rescue International. From the DiveRescueIntl.com website, I post the following information...

Dive Rescue I
Duration: 3 days (24 hours) - Recommended for certified divers and surface support personnel
Learn the fundamentals of dive operations from scene evaluation through incident debriefing. Public safety divers and surface-support personnel will be prepared to respond effectively to the water-incident scene. Topics include overview of public safety drowning accidents; selecting, training, and equipping dive teams; dealing with family, media, and other agencies, search pattern fundamentals, victim retrieval tactics; responding to vehicle accidents; accident scene documentation; and an introduction to specialized equipment. Program will be presented in a classroom, a pool, and at an open-water training site.

Dive Rescue International is the largest provider of water rescue, underwater recovery and underwater investigative training in North America. Thirty two 3 to 5 day programs are available exclusively to public safety personnel. In addition to training, they provide equipment and 24/7 technical support.

I hope this helps!

Blades Robinson, Director
Dive Rescue International

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Gary,

Thank you for recommending our training! Your support is appreciated!

-Blades-

The International Association of Nitrox and Technical Divers (IANTD) International also offers certification as a Public Safety Diver.

This course is taught to the highest standards by Fire Department, Police, and Commercial Diving Instructors, and has been approved by the "godfather" of police diving, the late Cpl. Bob Teather, RCMP.

If interested, contact IANTD International at: 305.751.4873 or see the website: http://www.iantd.com/

Note: IANTD HQ has moved recently to Ottawa, Canada to better serve the world-wide diving community.

BladesRobinson:
Gary was referring to a Dive Rescue 1 certification that is taught through Dive Rescue International. From the DiveRescueIntl.com website, I post the following information...

Dive Rescue I
Duration: 3 days (24 hours) - Recommended for certified divers and surface support personnel
Learn the fundamentals of dive operations from scene evaluation through incident debriefing. Public safety divers and surface-support personnel will be prepared to respond effectively to the water-incident scene. Topics include overview of public safety drowning accidents; selecting, training, and equipping dive teams; dealing with family, media, and other agencies, search pattern fundamentals, victim retrieval tactics; responding to vehicle accidents; accident scene documentation; and an introduction to specialized equipment. Program will be presented in a classroom, a pool, and at an open-water training site.

Dive Rescue International is the largest provider of water rescue, underwater recovery and underwater investigative training in North America. Thirty two 3 to 5 day programs are available exclusively to public safety personnel. In addition to training, they provide equipment and 24/7 technical support.

I hope this helps!

Blades Robinson, Director
Dive Rescue International

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Gary,

Thank you for recommending our training! Your support is appreciated!

-Blades-
I have to support it. Anything that has helped keep me and my team alive and injury free has to work and needs support.

Gary D.

Thank you to everyone who has replied from what I have read on the sites listed it sounds like I need to get some more experience and then depending on where I am at talk to the local PSD team and try to get them to send me to DR1. Hopefully in a year or 2 I will have the skills.

Lee

Rick Murchison:
My "Absolute Minimum" set of skills would include
Underwater Navigation
Low/No visibility underwater navigation
Low/No visibility search and recovery (including heavy lifts)
Rescue Diver
---
Local conditions will dictate additional training specific to the range of diving the local PSD group does.
Rick

I agree !

Add paramedic for good measure.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom