What training agency

What is your training agency/ies of choice? (You can choose more than one)

• BSAC

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • CMAS

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • HSA

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • NAUI

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • PADI

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • SDI

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • SSI

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • YMCA

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 21 27.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oahu_diver

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm just curious what training agency you used for your certifications. I'm confused about all the different agencies. Mostly NAUI and PADI. There's the long standing joke that PADI stands for Put Another Dollar In...but at least PADI is not ashamed to admit that it is a business and a business can't survive without turning a profit. NAUI proclaims to be a non-profit agency, but their classes cost the same (and sometimes more) than PADI classes. So, I'm confused about the non-profit status.

Anyone have any opinions on training agencies?

I'm posting this in the Hawai'i 'Ohana forum because I'm curious about the divers in the Hawai'i area.

I teach to AAUS standards.

BTW: there is no longer a YMCA, it is now SEI.

Does AAUS offer entry level certification cards? I thought they only did scientific diver certifications.

AAUS does not offer any certification cards, they are issued by the institution sponsoring the training. A scientific diver certification is entry level training, in most cases.

So a diver can become a scientific diver with no c-card from NAUI, PADI or any other agency? Will a dive shop accept the AAUS card?

I know YMCA isn't current...but I included it just in case someone was certified through YMCA and still use that card to dive...HEY...Just noticed>> YMCA got a vote!! haha

I still most often use my paper Scientific Diver card from UC Berkeley dated 1973; dive shops find that just fine.

but a simple open water card is not offered by AAUS. I was targeting more recreational divers...not scientific or commercial divers. I know the DSO doing the scientific diver training can issue regular recreational cards from the training agency as well.

If he wishes to, and if he thinks it is worth the time and money to maintain a recreational membership, recreational credentials are not essential to the job, though some more institutions (foolishly in my mind) do require a recreational credential for their DSOs. About half the divers that I used to train were not scientists, I trained them so that the scientists could have buddy divers without having to interfere with each others' work. That was a good system, but it did mean that half the divers I trained were, in reality, recreational divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom