What to wear?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my time of being on the "other side" of the instruction line, I urge new divers in traditional programs to err on the side of modesty. Sometimes the male dive staff can get...uh...distracted, shall we say...and while the female student is not aware of it, it's not good attention.

I agree with wearing a rash guard and board shorts in the pool. You'll be doing skills which require your buddy (possibly another student you don't know) to grasp your BCD strap (not a good time for a cleavage show) and push you in a tired divers tow (ladies, this is not where we want swimsuit creepage/slippage).

Perhaps I'm a bit conservative, but years of listening to the boys behind the scenes, and I'll never enter another pool in a bathing suit.

For pool or for open water in a wetsuit, I've always worn a bathing suit underneath. That being said, it's a true bathing suit, NOT a two piece that just looking at it makes it fall off. :wink: Basically, something comfortable that you can work in u/w without it chafing. One piece or two piece is up to you: there are pros & cons to both.

Meanwhile, unless the pool is heated to blood temp, you'll need a wetsuit, probably something about 3mm (1/8") thick. Because you WILL get cold! If you have problems getting it on, a pair of pantyhose or tights comes in handy. (Old trick I learned when diving TGWN in 5mm beavertail wetsuit.) Most shops have suits on hand you can rent or include it as part of your CF package.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Enjoy!

hi! i like the idea of using a pair of pantyhose or tights to help in getting in the wetsuit. thanks for the info. =D

I agree, a dive skin is nice to wear in that environment. I have tried pantyhose, but I don't know that I would feel comfortable wearing them in that situation. The dive skins are comfortable.

I think we're talking cross-purposes here. While a skin may be a good idea for an additional layer of warmth under a drysuit, unless they are quite new & slick, pulling on a wetsuit over top of them is a hassle as they get all caught up inside the wetsuit, turned about, etc.

OTOH, I found that a simple pair of cheap pantyhose (or lycra tights) enable you to slip on the leg portion of an unlined wetsuit (or one that is older) with no fuss.

Since my current wetsuit (Henderson Hyperstretch) pulls on fairly easily, I haven't had to use the pantyhose trick for quite some time. Especially since as a drysuit diver I no longer hassle with 5mm+ of neoprene in cold water.

Again, JMHO,

I think we're talking cross-purposes here. While a skin may be a good idea for an additional layer of warmth under a drysuit, unless they are quite new & slick, pulling on a wetsuit over top of them is a hassle as they get all caught up inside the wetsuit, turned about, etc.

OTOH, I found that a simple pair of cheap pantyhose (or lycra tights) enable you to slip on the leg portion of an unlined wetsuit (or one that is older) with no fuss.

Since my current wetsuit (Henderson Hyperstretch) pulls on fairly easily, I haven't had to use the pantyhose trick for quite some time. Especially since as a drysuit diver I no longer hassle with 5mm+ of neoprene in cold water.

Again, JMHO,
Again, wearing pantyhose in public isn't always a comfortable thing for some of us. Unfortunately, there is not always a changing area, so a dive skin is more comfortable to wear in front of other people for me than pantyhose. JMHO

There was myself and one other lady in my OW class. She just wore a one piece swim suit and a tshirt. I had a skin from snorkeling and word that over a one piece bathing suit. We didn't use wetsuits in the pool. HTH

Back
Top Bottom