what to take for ears that won't pop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are several techniques and maneuvers for clearing ears.
One that I never use while descending is the Valsalva Maneuver. Forcing air past a restriction in the Eustachian tubes to equalize seems to me a great way to bring on a reverse squeeze when ascending.

One that I never use while descending is the Valsalva Maneuver. Forcing air past a restriction in the Eustachian tubes to equalize seems to me a great way to bring on a reverse squeeze when ascending.
Since I moved to Texas 25 years back I have had allergies and it's getting worse. Typically at the start of a dive trip I have a little trouble clearing on the first few dives and find that if I go to about 25-30 ft there is pressure and some pain. If I stay horizontal at that depth and swim slowly after a minute or so the pressure equalises. Early on I would force air past and though I didn't get reverse squeezes my ears would be tender and blocked a week or two after a trip, sometimes until I returned to Cozumel and dove again. I am not a fan of forcing an equalisation, I think the trauma it induces is not good.

I've taken the 60 mg for decades. Never tried the 12 hour.

BTW, take some at home before you travel. Some people find it too stimulating.
It makes my heart rate go up so I do not like taking it! Luckily, I don’t have clearing issues so never really a need.

It makes my heart rate go up so I do not like taking it! Luckily, I don’t have clearing issues so never really a need.
Yeah, I try to caution people about trying it at home first. My pulse is high normal. Maybe I should skip a few days and see if it settles down, but not now in allergy season.

Yeah, I try to caution people about trying it at home first. My pulse is high normal. Maybe I should skip a few days and see if it settles down, but not now in allergy season.

Do you take it in lieu of, or in addition to, OTC or prescription allergy?

I have "seasonal" allergies that persist even in winter, but luckily I've only needed to take it once for diving. I have to have a Zyrtec for breakfast daily, though. The first time I ever took it I had the worst flu and it was like a miracle cold drug. Made me high as a kite for about 20 minutes.

Do you take it in lieu of, or in addition to, OTC or prescription allergy?
It's the only allergy med I take.
I have to have a Zyrtec for breakfast daily, though. The first time I ever took it I had the worst flu and it was like a miracle cold drug. Made me high as a kite for about 20 minutes.
Zyrtec is cetirizine, an antihistamine that reduces the effects of natural chemical histamine in the body. Histamine can produce symptoms of sneezing, itching, watery eyes, and runny nose. May impair your thinking or reactions. Zyrtec-D contains cetirizine and Pseudoephedrine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom