What to look for in a dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update- I'll be inspecting and picking it up tomorrow. There was a mix up about time/place. I know what you guys are saying about 'stolen' and I will do my best to make sure he is the owner. Sometimes down here you come across some good legitimate deals-earlier this year I picked up some HP 100s for $50 a pop and this isn't the first time I've inquired about some piece of advertised gear only to have the guy tell me "Oh, I've also got this scuba thing over here that I need to get rid of". In this case I was trying to buy his reg-a newer conshelf 14 when he offered up the fins and then the dry suit.

I'll post some pics when/if it goes through. Anyone want to fly down to Florida and give me a lesson in dry suit diving?

:)

Someone is offereing to sell me one for $30. A DUI drysuit size Medium. He says the only problem with it is that one of the rubber cuffs needs to be replaced. Any advice?

Seals are a perishable items so buy them now or in a few years it's a viscous cycle either way.

A bad zipper could set you back 3-4 hundred installed.

If it's a bad fit then it's of no use to you.

Bottom line is that at $30 your buying at 1 or 2 cents on the dollar so grab it and worst likely case is you can flip it. If the suit fits and needs the works your still diving fry at a great discount.

Pete

Here's the update-It may not have been one of my better deals. It is a DUI AAOPS Type I. The top zipper that goes across the body stops about 8" from fully opening. It looks like the seal is still holding but one of the teeth in the zipper is slightly out of alignment and it catches at that point. While it appears that it will fit I don't think I can get it on (or if I get it on, that I would be able to take it off without hurting the zipper more).

There is no place to add air-I thought that was odd but I live in Florida-not much need for dry suits down here so I haven't seen many.

It actually appears to be in good shape otherwise. What do I do about the zipper? Worse case, I've got some fins for a fraction of the cost.

This really depends on how DIYish you are. You can easily replace seals. I have not yet been brave enough to do a zipper, but the procedure is in the Airspeed Press book on dry suits. Zippers aren't cheap, though -- and it sounds as thought the suit you bought may not have been designed for diving at all, but rather for surfing or other watersports. You WILL have to install an inlet and a dump valve, if you are to use it for diving, and by the time you have bought a zipper and seals and valves and spent the time installing it all, you could probably have bought a cheap and functional dry suit. Chalk one up to experience; it never occurred to me to warn you that not all dry suits are meant for diving.

OK-I called DUI and talked to them about the suit. They are very helpful. They said it is a "splash suit" and they have had people try and modify for diving but are generally not happy witht he result. She did say they sale it for about $1800 so maybe I can get something for it on eBay.

I will say they one thing I learned is that despite thinking I did not ever want a dry suit, after seeing one and thinking-"I can dive dry" I now know that I secretly want a dry suit...I might not ever buy one but it would be nice.

:)

If you post it on ebay and are honest about it's condition, please put a link up here :D

If it is of more use to you Peter_C I will sell it to you for the same $30 plus shipping. PM if interested.

Ask him if you can do a leak test on it. Turn it inside out and fill it with water and see if any water comes out. $30 seems really fishy, there must be something else wrong with it bc they go for $1000 and up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom