What to hold my octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firefyter:
That's just it...can you give him the full picture? Have you tried it both ways? I have, and can assure you that it's simpler going with a bungeed backup.
I dive a long hose myself, and I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree with you.

1) It's a change. That requires learning something new, however trivial.

2) A better way to secure an existing octo setup is what was asked. A snorkel keeper is indeed the simplest, easiest and least expensive solution. It is certainly easy once you're there, but getting there is more complex. Not terribly so, but certainly moreso than looping a snorkel keeper.

Going to a long hose system requires buying new hoses, buying bungee, and having someone show you how to work with the new system. It may also require a different octo if you have a cheap one, like the AquaLung ABS (which works great as a traditional octo, but I sure wouldn't want to use it in a bungied configuration). It then requires installation of said new hoses (and possibly the new secondary reg). And the proper knots or zip tie config of the bungee.

A long hose config, for a DIR diver or not, is a GREAT setup, and the one I prefer to use. But it is NOT the "simplest" answer to the OP's question, as you claim.

Whether or not it is the BEST answer to his question of what is BEST, is a whole different issue. ;-)

CompuDude:
It may also require a different octo if you have a cheap one, like the AquaLung ABS (which works great as a traditional octo, but I sure wouldn't want to use it in a bungied configuration).

Works great for your buddy to breathe off of in a panic, but not good enough for you when your buddy has a problem? Interesting point of view :)

Sorry I’m so late in getting back to this thread. Family comes first…

Actually, there is only one more thing I would like to say on this thread. The rest of the debate I will try to take to a new thread. I will post a link to the new thread here.

OK, the only point I have been trying to make that I feel is appropriate for this thread is that I feel Firefyter’s first post:

Firefyter:
A bungee, then wear it around your neck.

needed elaboration. Actually, H2Andy's first post, in which he added that the OP would then have to donate the primary, etc. added some detail I felt was needed. As I've stated before, I'm neither for nor against the bungeed back-up configuration.

I still believe that suggesting "Use a hair thingy," or "Use a snorkel keeper" can stand alone, whereas saying, "Put it on a bungee around your neck" needs at least a little further explanation.

I feel that the OP illustrated this point by coming back with questions both on how to rig the bungee and on donating the primary.

That was my whole intent.

However, I did respond to some posts in a way that lead the discussion off on a tangent, and, again, I will address that in a new thread.

CompuDude:
I dive a long hose myself, and I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree with you.

1) It's a change. That requires learning something new, however trivial.

I'll grant you this one. It is new, however trivial.

CompuDude:
2) A better way to secure an existing octo setup is what was asked. A snorkel keeper is indeed the simplest, easiest and least expensive solution. It is certainly easy once you're there, but getting there is more complex. Not terribly so, but certainly moreso than looping a snorkel keeper.

A better way is indeed what was asked, and I responded. Also, I don't see how you can get less expensive than 70¢.which is what I spent on the bungee. Tying the knot and slipping it around the mouthpiece is pretty darned simple as well.

CompuDude:
Going to a long hose system requires buying new hoses, buying bungee, and having someone show you how to work with the new system. It may also require a different octo if you have a cheap one, like the AquaLung ABS (which works great as a traditional octo, but I sure wouldn't want to use it in a bungied configuration). It then requires installation of said new hoses (and possibly the new secondary reg). And the proper knots or zip tie config of the bungee.

Nowhere does it say that you have to go to a long hose system. It's what I dive, and what I believe in, but you can do with a short hose setup as well, although not as easily. AIR2 divers do it. And as another poster pointed out, I wouldn't dive with an inferior secondary.

CompuDude:
A long hose config, for a DIR diver or not, is a GREAT setup, and the one I prefer to use. But it is NOT the "simplest" answer to the OP's question, as you claim.

I agree with the first part, as I am not a DIR diver but still see the benefits of the long hose config. I respectfully disagree with the second part, because I do think it's the simplest. If the regular octo keepers are so darned simple, why do we see so many octos dragging in the mud? You won't find my secondary dragging, because it's around my neck.

CompuDude:
Whether or not it is the BEST answer to his question of what is BEST, is a whole different issue. ;-)

Once again, we are in total agreement, and this is what the OP asked for to begin with.

Soggy:
Works great for your buddy to breathe off of in a panic, but not good enough for you when your buddy has a problem? Interesting point of view :)
Actually, according to all the lab tests I have read, they DO work pretty well in just such a situation. That said, The AquaLung ABS's physical arrangement does not lend itself particularly well to a bungied setup, IMO. Not compared to a more normally designed reg, close if not identical in quality to the primary. For a more traditional primary + octo rig, they'll do quite nicely... as long as they're not dragging through the sand. You know, like what happens if you neglect to use something like a snorkel keeper to keep it close yet available. ;-)

Firefyter:
A better way is indeed what was asked, and I responded. Also, I don't see how you can get less expensive than 70¢.which is what I spent on the bungee. Tying the knot and slipping it around the mouthpiece is pretty darned simple as well.

I agree with the first part, as I am not a DIR diver but still see the benefits of the long hose config. I respectfully disagree with the second part, because I do think it's the simplest. If the regular octo keepers are so darned simple, why do we see so many octos dragging in the mud? You won't find my secondary dragging, because it's around my neck.
We agree too much to belabor this beyond this post, but in the interest of semantics, I'll note this:

In your post your suggestion claimed to be the simplest, not the best. You wrote "it's simpler going with a bungeed backup". If you read back you'll see that was the line I took exception to.

A snorkel keeper is $1 at most local shops here. Good bungie is 50 cents a foot (again, local prices). So pricing is argueably the same... as long as you're not changing your hoses or regs. At which point the bungee option is a LOT more money.

You won't find many secondaries dragging if they're held in check by a snorkel keeper, either... which is what the OP appeared to be inquiring about. Few octos come with a keeper that's worth a darn, so there's another reason why you see so many dragging. The OP appeared to be doing the right thing, by inquiring as to the best way to prevent the downsides from an unsecured octo.

CompuDude:
We agree too much to belabor this beyond this post

Agreed.

CompuDude:
but in the interest of semantics, I'll note this:

In your post your suggestion claimed to be the simplest, not the best. You wrote "it's simpler going with a bungeed backup". If you read back you'll see that was the line I took exception to.

Point taken. It still seems simplest to me, but I can see where it might not be so for other people.

espantoon:
Dive Rite Express makes a decent, simple loop and clip holder that is good for normal rec diving. I have one and it works well:

www.diveriteexpress.com/regs/holder.shtml
I had one of those, the bungee on one side pulled out from the webbing where it was sewn together (actually the elastic inside the bungee). It was a waste of money, except it ultimately is what convinced me to use a boltsnap (tied with caveline) instead. Getting it on and off over the regs mouthpiece was a total PITA, I always thought it was going to pull the mouthpiece right off. And there wasn't enough room to tie it off around the reg hose like you would with an extra oring. You couldn't pay me to use that DR octo holder again. YMMV, but probably not. :)

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom