What to hold my octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have any pictures of the bungeed octo configuration? I am curious as to how to attach the bungee.

Tnx.

Elastic hair ties. You just put a loop through a D-ring and pull the other end through, then pul it once or twice around the mouthpiece. It holds well, is dirt cheap, and if a panicking diver yanks it, it'll either release or snap, but they'll get the air.

(Those octo-balls are pathetic... they don't hold the octo, and they're great for getting regs to free-flow.)

ClayJar:
Elastic hair ties. You just put a loop through a D-ring and pull the other end through, then pul it once or twice around the mouthpiece. It holds well, is dirt cheap, and if a panicking diver yanks it, it'll either release or snap, but they'll get the air.

Love this idea!! I always have lots of hair ties lying around, so I'm going to definitely give this a try. :D

battles2a5:
Does anyone have any pictures of the bungeed octo configuration? I am curious as to how to attach the bungee.

Tnx.

sure. this is the set-up:

reg_necklace.jpg

you then put the mouthpiece through the "hole" and tighten. here's what it looks like:

04-05-02-backupreg.jpg

(note that this one has the bungge under a zip tie ... that's not how i do it; i just can't find a picture of one with the mouthpiece through the small loop)

adjust so it hangs just below your chin.

Snorkel keepers work well for a standard octo setup, and the hair elastic idea would be similar. I have a octo holder that is similar to a snorkel keep but made for the purpose - the loop for the reg is rectangular and there's a clip on the other end, works very well.

Those octo ball things never worked very well for me. I've tried a few, some of which I found on the bottom, probably because people ditched them.

Removed as it was already answered. ;^)

Dave

You can use a bungie setup like the one Andy posted in the picture in a different manner if you don't want your alternate on your neck. Simply loop the bungie over one of the d-rings on your B/C shoulder strap.

the K

evad:
I think we're saying the same thing, but to clarify, are you suggesting donating an octopus bungeed around your neck?
not exactly. you donate the reg in your mouth, then *you* use the one bungeed under your chin. if it's set up right, all you have to do is dip your head to get it - you don't even need your hands!

In addition to working well, the other advantage of snorkel keepers are that they are cheap. I keep a couple extra in my save-a-dive kit and hand them to my insta-buddies that have rental gear without a decent method of securing the octo.

After all, the octo that they are wearing is my source of redundant air. :)

Beware the bungee route. If you have the octo bungeed around your neck, that means you donate your primary, which means that you probably want a longer hose on your primary, which means it will create an entanglement hazard unless you route it properly, which means special training and practice and a can light...

Not that I'm saying you shouldn't go that route, but the simple 'a bungee around your neck' answers you've gotten are not complete. If you want to go that route, make sure you know what you're getting in to, and maybe be prepared to drink some Kool-Aide :wink:

You need to know a lot more about it than just looking at the pix provided.

(Please, no flames. I'm not saying DIR is evil, I just want to make sure the OP get's the whole story.)

p.s. I second (or third?) the snorkel keeper.

Back
Top Bottom