What to hold my octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firefyter:
However, in those cases, you're not going to be donating an octo that's coming off the same first stage as your primary, which is what we were talking about to begin with. :wink:

Actually, that's not true, but we've hijacked this thread long enough.

'To begin with' we were talking about snorkel keepers. I posted that there is more to it than just "put a bungee on it." And, while you and I will probably never agree on some things outside the scope of this thread, I thank you for helping me illustrate my point.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

i am curious ... what styles of recreational diving are not compatible with a bungeed backup?

cause that's what we're talking about here. recreational diving.

Free diving, perhaps? That's recreational, isn't it? :D

Incidentally, where does one get bungee cord, and how long does it last? (The hair ties don't last forever by any stretch of the imagination, but I've got dozens in my save-a-dive kit. They also come in quite handy when I have to braid my waist-length pony tail so as not to have a very long and painful entanglement issue post-dive.)

I got bungee by the foot at REI. Most stores that have climbing sections will have bungee.

As far as how long it lasts...I put a bungee on my singles rig 3 years ago and have never changed it. Hair ties don't fail because the elastic fails, they fail at the connection point where the two ends come together. My fiancee gets mad at me when I play with her hair ties because I break them.

H2Andy:
i am curious ... what styles of recreational diving are not compatible with a bungeed backup?

cause that's what we're talking about here. recreational diving.
The only sort of recreational diving that I see as not being very compatible with bungeed backup is when a diver is using rental gear. :)

And that's just because it's too much hassle to swap out the hoses.

Any recreational diver should already be familiar with the concept of sharing air using the primary, because in addition to a few bungeed backup divers, there are lots of divers with integrated octo/inflator thingies like Air2, and they also must donate the primary.

Soggy:
Hair ties don't fail because the elastic fails, they fail at the connection point where the two ends come together. My fiancee gets mad at me when I play with her hair ties because I break them.
Are we speaking of the same hair ties? I'm talking about these. (I usually grab the black-only pack, but that's just because it's easier than choosing colors.)

The stranded elastic inside the fabric cover gradually breaks. First, you notice that they don't spring back all the way anymore, and as they get progressively more worn, you start seeing narrow spots where the elastic strands have broken. Eventually, there isn't enough spring left to use them effectively, so you chunk them. Only rarely (perhaps three or four out of many dozens) has the "weld" given way and left me with a piece of linear bungee.

(I wouldn't recommend the metal-joined ones. They pull your hair out, and they probably corrode and scratch your gear, too.)

I just have to know, derail or not, what are the two types of diving where the bungied backup doesn't work? Rebreather and vintage double hose?

Joe

Sideband:
I just have to know, derail or not, what are the two types of diving where the bungied backup doesn't work? Rebreather and vintage double hose?

Joe

The only things I could think of is rebreather, or some type of mixed gas diving, neither of which is recreational diving as Andy pointed out. He's just trying to muddy the water, since the original argument didn't hold water.

O2BBubbleFree:
And, while you and I will probably never agree on some things outside the scope of this thread, I thank you for helping me illustrate my point.

The only point we've illustrated is that you're waaaaay off base.

Most Marine supply stores also have bungee in various diameters. It's probably more expensive than buying online, but if you only need a couple of feet its not so bad.

I got my bungee at west marine.

Kelsey

Back
Top Bottom