What to fill a pony bottle with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox has its place in diving.........

Multiple repetitive dives within the deeper recreational limits.............

I am talking about EAN28 to EAN36 here............

You need very special equipment and training to go over EAN40..........

The value of Nitrox is its use over extended time to reduce the buildup on Nitrogen.......all that is out the window once you turn to a pony for an emegergy........

You are getting yourself to the surface ASAP.................

I say carry the largest pony you can, this buys you more time to get to the surface......fill it full of natures Nitrox EAN21...........

Once the emergency has passed you are calm and safe at 15 feet breathing off your pony........maybe hanging on the anchor line, or having shot your DSMB or even just floating in open water.........

Then spend as much time there as you have air for.........

Extend your stop and let time handle the nitrogen............

Would you rather have a 13 CF pony full of EAN32 or a 19 CF pony full of air.......

Just my thoughts.............M

Nothing will "probably" happen if you breathe 32% @ 140', however, I prefer to remove "probably" as even a potential issue, since there's absolutely no advantage to an enriched mix and at least a one disadvantage.

If someone wants to dive with a pony full of the Nitrox mix their choosing, that's fine. I'll stick to air.

Terry

Me too!!! :wink: Well, if I ever use one!

My point is that Nitrox in a pony would be pretty much the same as air: It would not make your ascent more dangerous or safer. It's a very limited amount of gas to make any difference.

If you are talking only contingency gas for recreational dive, I'd agree with many that suggested air, no need to worry about your depth or your buddy's if it is the case of handing him the pony.

Whenever I hand my pony to the fill guy he asks "What do you want in here?" My response is always "Whatever you're filling right now."

It just doesn't matter. If I'm going to the pony, I'm going up because something has gone wrong. I don't really care if it's 36% and I'm at 140 feet (which is rather unlikely). It'll take me seconds to get above the MOD of 36%. Nowhere near enough time for OxTox.

-Charles

As I'm already hemmoraging money for this hobby here is how I look at it:

First, is there any measurable benefit to putting Nitrox of any blend into my Pony? NO

Second, does putting Nitrox in my Pony complicate anything? YES

Third, does putting Nitrox in my Pony cost more? USUALLY (most places aroung here will top-oof my 30cf pony for frre when filling my other 2 cylinders).

So the final question is: Why should I pay more for something that has no upside and only serves to complicate something that is meant to increase my safety when penetrating a wreck or diving deep?

The only answer I can think of is that I just want to waste money and stress more about the Pony set-up.

So I just keep it filled with air.

If you fill with air wouldnt it be considered a pony? Filled with nitrox isnt it now is considered a deco bottle?

If you fill with air wouldnt it be considered a pony? Filled with nitrox isnt it now is considered a deco bottle?

A "deco bottle" has a very specific purpose. It is intended to accelerate decompression stops (i.e. get you out of the water faster than if you were on backgas alone).

Generally speaking:

A "deco bottle" is intended to be used on all dives for which the plan includes one (various training scenarios notwithstanding).

A "pony bottle" is intended to be used only in emergency situations.

Everyone has it all wrong. You fill the Pony with air so that you can then fill car and bike tires and pool toys with it. Or as a compressed air supply at the work bench.:blinking:

Use air, a pony is for emergencies, if you are on it, the Sh$# has hit the fan and you should be on your way up.

A pony filled with air is an emergency air supply for rec/no deco diving.

A pony filled with Nitrox is a Stage or Deco bottle for a planed decompression dive.

Recreational depth, open water, NDL dives: air will suffice as this gas is used to ascend as quickly as possible. Just make sure you have enough of it to actually make the surface.

In other, more technical diving, the choice of 'exit' gas is crucial. But then, you would not dive with a pony..........you would be talking about stages, deco bottles, safety bottles, bail out bottles etc, etc. Different discussion altogether.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom