What to fill a pony bottle with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We sure are. I've had my Pony filled many, many times and never once been charged any money for doing so.

And if it was filled with Nitrox, there's no reason I couldn't fill a car tire or pool toy with it.

-Charles

You should never run out of air in the first place.. that said

When using a pony for rec/no stop dives, I keep the same EANx mix (or similar) in the pony as my back gas, eliminating any concern of oxtox, inaccurate computer/table calcs ect.. At least once a trip I practice surfacing on my pony to stay up on skills...By keeping the same mix, I know my computer will be accurate and my repetitive dives profiles correct. Cost is not an issue becuase I fill em' myself but in any event, a $15-$35 O2 VIP is trivial compaired to the yearly $$ spent on my scuba addiction :dork2:

Steve

We sure are. I've had my Pony filled many, many times and never once been charged any money for doing so.

And if it was filled with Nitrox, there's no reason I couldn't fill a car tire or pool toy with it.

-Charles

It will all depend on the dive shops around. Up here in the North East I don't know of any shops that are banking NITROX. But I do know of a few shops that consider a fill a fill no matter what sise tank. They are asking around $10 for a 3,000 PSI fill up to 100 cubic feet and $12 for anything over 3,000 psi or over 100 cubic feet.

As for filling a car tire with NITROX, why that might give a high speed blow out a real BIG bang. Pool toys, etc. it would be fine, but not a car tire.

depends what you are using it for. if you are a pro, and using it to pass off to other divers, or diving where going below your back gas mod is possible (like a wall), air is probably your best bet. ditto if you have a multigas computer. otherwise, same as back gas.

I just finished the SDI Solo certification and had a lively discussion about this with my instructor. The official SDI position (at least for the Solo course, where a pony is required) is that the pony should match your backgas. I think the logic is that if you switch to it, you're not messing up your computer (presuming you have a typical single-gas rec computer).

I, on the other hand, took the angle that some are promoting here, which is: Plain air in the pony.

The problems with the "match your backgas" philosophy are manifold:
  • Unless you're always diving the same mix, it's a PITA to always try to sync the two - although I suppose a transfill adapter could help here
  • Your MOD on the pony is the same as your backgas - whereas with air, you've got something to switch to if some problem has you dipping past your MOD, at least temporarily until you can return to shallower depths
  • The pony should be bailout only - if I'm really having to switch to it, I'm not really concerned about whether my computer knows my N2Sat for a subsequent dive - I'm just concerned with surfacing alive and safe
Those are just a few of the issues that pop to mind.

Anyway, I'm sticking with air.

>*< Fritz

As for filling a car tire with NITROX, why that might give a high speed blow out a real BIG bang. Pool toys, etc. it would be fine, but not a car tire.

I always fill my car and trailor and bike tires with nitrox.

I have not seen anyone talk about what you fill a pony with.

You fill a pony with hay, apples, and the occasional sugar cube. You fill a pony bottle with...well...a pony. A small one, mind you. :dork2:

You fill a pony bottle with...well...a pony. A small one, mind you. :dork2:

Now don't start that. Look at all the trouble Bonzaikitty caused :wink:

As for filling a car tire with NITROX, why that might give a high speed blow out a real BIG bang.

Ummmm.... What? I can't think of any other question to ask about that.

-Charles

I've lost the point of the OP all together after all this reading, and I am too lazy to back up to the beganing.

My 2 bits: I carry a (true) pony on every dive I can because it mounts to my back tank, it's out of the way and I always have a little extra that way.

It is never figured into my gas management, therefore it is always a truely additional "emergency" supply.

Out here on the Left Coast one can get free fills at most shops for pony cylinders because they are small and they are an emergency/safety item (I think).

Pony gets 21% Nitrox, 30 cu cylinder gets deco gas (most likely 36% or 40%, depth dependent) or 21% Nitrox when used as a bailout with the surface supplied system.

Mudd, out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom