what to expect in November, NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajtoady

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well I be a looking into a vacation down in hopefully warm North Carolina in late November. Going to probably rent a house for two weeks on Emerald Isle and was wondering as to; water temps, vis, fills, recommended sites, shore dives, boat dives, and anything else as far as getting wet. Any and all info appreciated. I should be good to go at 130' by the time I get there but that is dependent upon my work schedule and LDS. Also interested in Nitrox fills and pricing. Thanks for all that take the time to reply.:D

November can be a good time to dive if you can make it out. Water temps will likely be in the 60s. Vis could be anything. I think you might have a hard time finding boats going out on weekdays that time of year. On weekends, there will be boats going out and you'll end up on whatever sites they happen to be running to that day. If you are into spearing or lobstering I think Olympus has some "Tired of Turkey" charters T-giving weekend.

From Emerald Isle shore diving is very limited. Radio Island, between Moorehead City and Beaufort, might be your best bet. I've never done it, but I've heard that you'd want to do that at high slack tide.

You can get Nitrox from Olympus or Discovery. I don't know the prices since I usually fill elsewhere but they are not too high.

Ever thought of trying shark tooth diving on the fossil ledges in that area //...Spearitcharters.com has an interesting video clip, plus they do other types of diving.

Surface temps could be anywhere from the 40's to the 70's or even 80's. Water temps will vary depending on inshore or offshore locations but will run from the low 60's (inshore) to the upper 60's to low 70's offshore. Vis is a crap shoot and can be from 20 feet to 60-80 feet. You can check fill prices on the Olympus Dive Center web site.

And as Joe said, getting out during the week will be problematic but Olympus does do their Tired of Turkey charters the weekend after Thanksgiving. Unfortunately your coming to NC during the off season for diving but if you can get on a charter you'll have a great time and get to do some excellent diving.

Thanks to all for their info and help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom