What to eat and drink in Mexico during deco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beef jerky and electrolit?

Beef jerky and electrolit?
Great idea on the jerky, that would be perfect, but unfortunately, I can't eat it.

I'm making a list of things to try on my next OW dive. I should record it and post it to youtube... "The 10 Best Deco Snacks!" :)

Capri Suns work well in a pocket. I also like clif gels, but those can be a bit gummy so you need to rinse your mouth before going back on the loop.

Capri Suns work well in a pocket. I also like clif gels, but those can be a bit gummy so you need to rinse your mouth before going back on the loop.
I've tried these but the plastic is always a pain. I've thought about stowing the straw out of the plastic but then inevitably I lose it. Any suggestions?

I dive cold water, thick gloves... etc, etc.. I need to revisit doing this.

Sorry OP, not trying to threadjack.

I don't do cold or full fingered gloves, so I'm not your guy. Maybe a camelbak would help though? The bite tab is easy to work with your mouth, I use one staged on longer dives.

Maragritas!
No. Although the symptoms are the same for low blood sugar. I had a gastric bypass last year, and the only bad thing to come of it is what's called postprandial hypoglycemia. It's a side effect of having a stomach the size of my thumb.

Essentially, my body's reaction to carbs (i.e. create insulin) is stronger than what's needed to process the food I've eaten, which results in a low blood sugar situation.
As somebody whose been doing keto for some time & has a few food-allergies, just a heads-up that the average person will have almost no clue what is low-carb, and products advertised as low-carb or "no sugar" frequently aren't. People pretty much always mean well, but you have to get used to reading the labels on practically everything.

Sometimes, it's just easier to stick with just water & boring foods, just because at least you don't have to look it up or worry about what they put in it. I've never eaten anything while underwater, so at the moment I sadly don't have suggestions.

I suppose you could spear a nearby fish, those are high protein, some fat (Omega 3) and low-carb.

edit: Cheese-sticks or string-cheese might work.

Essentially, my body's reaction to carbs (i.e. create insulin) is stronger than what's needed to process the food I've eaten, which results in a low blood sugar situation.
edit2: Just to make sure, are you needing high/medium/low/very-low carbs?

Great idea on the jerky, that would be perfect, but unfortunately, I can't eat it.

I'm making a list of things to try on my next OW dive. I should record it and post it to youtube... "The 10 Best Deco Snacks!" :)
I would also say hummus but that's probably a little hard to eat on a deco stop.

You can never go wrong with a few peanuts and a mouth-ful of coca-cola.

Small tubes of frosting for sugar. These are generally sealed and have thicker packaging walls so they don't leak or crush. There are some with small wings on the end to twist off or or you can use shears to cut off the end of the nozzle/applicator. These will be most likely refined sugar but will do the trick. They can be found in the grocery stores in the US and brought with you. However they do sell them at Chedraui.
This method has been used for lows underwater and not preventative action.

I don't have a protein solution. To counteract ongoing lows, it would be too slow.
If you can find a reliable delivery method, something like Glucerna has higher protein and is liquid so no eating. It can be found locally. The original plastic bottles may or may not crush.

If you need something other than sugar. I suggest taking a stroll through the baby food aisle. There are all kinds of options in sealed pouches that you suck through an easy opening top.

Mexico has a nutritional information label that's very similar to the US one, so you can easily figure out the protein and other contents.

I just did a quick search and there is one possible issue. It looks like Chedraui mostly has the fruit based pouches which may not meet your dietary needs. I'm not sure they have the toddler meal type of pouch that is relatively high in protein. So you may want to shop here and bring them with you.

Here's an example (for those who haven't had kids in the last 20 years):

023923333376_Earths_Best_Organic_Beef_Medley_Pouch_4.5oz_Image.jpg

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom