What to eat and drink in Mexico during deco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VikingDives

Mostly Harmless
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've recently developed hypoglycemia, and I've been very disciplined about what I eat before going into an overhead, I'd like to find some things to carry with me for contingencies. I can't risk having a drop in blood sugar when I don't have immediate access to the surface. The way I handle it on the surface is a glass of fruit juice, followed by protein.

I've read about people using Capri Sun (I'm going to experiment with that), but are those or something like it available in Mexico? If so, where do you find them? I'll be in Puerto Aventuras, and I've never seen anything like that at Chedurai, and I'd like to avoid packing a case of liquid in my luggage if I can.

Any suggestions on easy to eat protein would also be appreciated.

Reactions: OTF
Costco has fruit/vegi mixed sauce (like applesauce) in little pouches that you can put in a thigh pouch and suck on underwater. I don't know the carbs in it but having the mix will give you some carbs but not spike your BGL sky high. You could add sugar to them if not enough and screw the caps back on. The caps are actually very glove friendly having big wings on them. I get them for quick snacks.

I’ve often used Gu gels (or Clif shot etc) for long deco. Still would require luggage space as I haven’t seen them in Chedurai but more self contained and no worries on dosage. Just be careful to being out the torn off tips with you. Clif bars and the like would work as well, won’t be impacted by the water, and have long shelf life in the event you don’t need to use them. Similar snack and granola bars are available.

Have a look at cycling gels or sweets, something like Bloc by Clif could work.

I am not a diabetic (so not qualified to offer advice) but the diabetics in my cycling club use gels and chews during long rides (120 kms ++)

I’ve often used Gu gels (or Clif shot etc) for long deco. Still would require luggage space as I haven’t seen them in Chedurai but more self contained and no worries on dosage. Just be careful to being out the torn off tips with you. Clif bars and the like would work as well, won’t be impacted by the water, and have long shelf life in the event you don’t need to use them. Similar snack and granola bars are available.
Clif bars aren't hard to eat?

I've recently developed hypoglycemia, and I've been very disciplined about what I eat before going into an overhead, I'd like to find some things to carry with me for contingencies. I can't risk having a drop in blood sugar when I don't have immediate access to the surface. The way I handle it on the surface is a glass of fruit juice, followed by protein.

I've read about people using Capri Sun (I'm going to experiment with that), but are those or something like it available in Mexico? If so, where do you find them? I'll be in Puerto Aventuras, and I've never seen anything like that at Chedurai, and I'd like to avoid packing a case of liquid in my luggage if I can.

Any suggestions on easy to eat protein would also be appreciated.
I assume you are diabetic, is that correct?

I assume you are diabetic, is that correct?
No. Although the symptoms are the same for low blood sugar. I had a gastric bypass last year, and the only bad thing to come of it is what's called postprandial hypoglycemia. It's a side effect of having a stomach the size of my thumb.

Essentially, my body's reaction to carbs (i.e. create insulin) is stronger than what's needed to process the food I've eaten, which results in a low blood sugar situation.

No. Although the symptoms are the same for low blood sugar. I had a gastric bypass last year, and the only bad thing to come of it is what's called postprandial hypoglycemia. It's a side effect of having a stomach the size of my thumb.

Essentially, my body's reaction to carbs (i.e. create insulin) is stronger than what's needed to process the food I've eaten, which results in a low blood sugar situation.
In which case bloks may not be right for you as i think they are high in carbs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom