What to do with old computers?

What do you do with old dive computers that you can’t sell?

• Donate it somewhere

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Recycle with the manufacturer

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Recycle with an electronics recycler

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Throw it away

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Something else

Votes: 12 35.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Happy to donate one to your future shop. I have a working Orca Edge looking for a good home.
That'd be great! Please pm me the address to pay for shipping. And when I get trimix setup, come on down with your rebreather and we'll search for ancient wrecks.

If you want to sell it I'd be interested. I had a VEO 180NX and it was my favorite computer I've had. I loved the one button interface, short press for scrolling and long press for "enter".
Veo series computers can be traded in to Oceanic for credit towards newer ones. The pre-veo hockey pucks don't qualify for that program.

Hey all,
Just curious what you all do with your older dive computers when you upgrade to newer models. I am upgrading my primary and backup computers and now I have two computer that won’t be used (trying to consolidate on the Bühlmann also). One is a 1 year old Cressi, so I imagine I’ll be able to sell that on. But the other is a 10 year old Oceanic Veo 180Nx, which I’m not sure is going to get much interest from anyone.

Throwing it away seems wasteful and not very environmentally friendly, so I’d like to avoid that if at all possible. So what do you do with a dive computer that you don’t use anymore and is too old to sell?
How much do you want for that year old Cressi?

I donate them to our volunteer corps at the university since they're all poor college kids

I hadn't thought about donating to a local uni. Good idea.

I would keep it on hand as a loaner, in case a dive buddy has a computer fail or to loan to new divers who don't have all their own. But I also have enough of everything but computers to loan out a full set of gear to a new diver. In fact, I could put the Veo to use in that capacity if you are just looking to get rid of it without it going to the landfill.
Respectfully,
James

Being in the Twin Cities metro of Minnesota, we don't have many people coming to visit for diving, but not a bad idea if I loved somewhere with more diving opportunities.

I would have added the sell your old one when you get a newer one option.

Sell them ...

Well, my question was specifically about when you can't sell it because it is very old and there is not real interest, so it doesn't really make sense to include that as an option.

All of my old computers have a fault that made me quit diving them. 2 of them were due to depth sensor malfunctions. I hold on to them, never know when someone will need parts.

DW

I'll take them off your hands. I'm the diving safety supervisor for a small marine lab on the coast of Chile and am trying to build up a small inventory of functioning loaner computers. Being a developing country students and recent grads rarely have enough money for proper dive gear and computers are the last thing they get.
I even a US address to ship to (my family still lives there).

Back
Top Bottom