What to do with a runaway BCD inflator

Did your instructor teach you how to deal with runaway inflation of the BCD underwater?

• Yes, I was taught to disconnect the low-pressure inflator while underwater.

• No, I was never taught how to deal with this situation.

• Maybe I was taught this, but I've long since forgotten.

• Yes, but it did not involve disconnecting the low-pressure inflator. (Please explain in comments.)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seaweed Doc

MSDT
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm getting caught up on old issues of Alert Diver magazine and came across a story that caught me off guard. The victim writes about having a runaway inflation of a BCD that was near-lethal. Thankfully, she recovered. But in the story she writes "We did not know it is OK to disconnect the low-pressure inflator hose from a BCD while underwater."

This is a skill I specifically teach in the pool, with an emphasis on "it's what you do if your power inflator sticks open." (It's also part of dry suit certification, for the dry suit inflator, but that's not really applicable here.)

On the other hand, I couldn't honestly tell you whether my certification class 39 years ago taught me this or not. Might have, but I don't have a concrete memory of it.

I was never taught this but did it once. It was not a runaway inflation but I realized my inflator was slowly leaking air into the bladder so I disconnected it and used oral inflation for the rest of the dive. Corrosion on the Schrader valve caused it to not fully seal. I cleaned it with white vinegar and all was good after that.

Which Schrader valve

Immediately do a duck dive bottom dumping air with one hand and disconnecting with the other or something

When required I always refer to my supplemental diving instructor, namely shelves of invaluable diving manuals

While a runaway inflator hose was not covered in any of my training, when I had it happen, I instinctively knew to disconnect it. I had just descended to around 40 ft and bumped the button to put a little air in my BCD. It stuck and I started going up. I quickly hit it with my hand a couple times, which did no good, so I just disconnected the hose and pulled on the hose to open the shoulder dump to vent air.

When I took it in to find out why it stuck, they found an internal piece that had crack and causd the problem.

I've taught this in every confined water class I've taught, and watched it being taught in other classes. I've reminded people of it in AOW classes, Rescue classed, Solo/Self-Reliant, and Equipment classes. People still forget. I can easily believe people have forgotten it was taught in their classes, but I'm skeptical it was never taught.

Both the deflate button or the hip dump (depending on orientation) will dump faster than the inflator fills. That story is suggestive of freezing/panic.

Which Schraeder valve

Immediately do a duck dive bottom dumping air with one hand and disconnecting with the other or something

On "which Schraeder," does it matter? Are you thinking Air2?

I'm confused on the duck dive: That's a surface maneuver, isn't it? Or do you mean using it underwater to go deeper quickly?

I teach going vertical and pressing the deflate button on the power inflator with the right hand. This also give you the "bracing" needed to push back with the left hand while disconnecting.

Both the deflate button or the hip dump (depending on orientation) will dump faster than the inflator fills. That story is suggestive of freezing/panic.

(depending on orientation) and depth, you go fast fast shallower and depending on duck diving

mgtk4.jpg

Which is why I posted because I don't know and best we all just get to know

Was it the valve in the inflator was it the valve in the hose, how could that be

Like that duck on the surface, but it's not on the surface but lower with tanks

It can be difficult to disconnect the inflator hose quickly enough to avoid an uncontrolled ascent when wearing thick gloves. If you're using double tanks then in some situations your best option might sometimes be to dump gas with the left hand while closing the right tank valve with your right hand. Once the valve is shut you can disconnect the inflator hose at your leisure, or get help from a buddy.

Don't go vertical while doing this. Stay in trim as that will slow down an uncontrolled ascent. (Maybe go slightly head down if that makes reaching your valves easier.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom