What to carry on airplane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[.

Keep in mind that most airlines accept only limited liability for damaged or lost luggage, say, 500 bucks per bag. Thus, checking a bc and reg worth 1500 or more combined is a risk, although luggage can be privately insured for more.

This is the reason it is important to us to buy dive insurance. It is comforting to know that if the airline does lose your gear that you will be covered for more than $500. We do, however, carry on our computers and regulators just so we know that they make the same flight and we can rent the rest of the gear until our's is found.

Everything but my fins goes in my carry-on roller bag: bc, mask, reg, boots, wetsuit, computer, bathing suit - ESPECIALLY if I know I have to change planes (greater risk of lost luggage)!

What do you guys do when you're travelling on an airline that has an unreasonably low weight limit for carryon? I flew El Al back in July and they weighed my carryon, and despite the fact that I don't exactly have a huge laptop (12" iBook), I had to take it out of my wheeled backpack (not a dive one, just a regular smallish one) and carry it under my arm until she ok'd the bag! There's no way I could have gotten both regs and a laptop in there (with a couple books, since it was an 11 hour flight, plus necessary toiletries and meds as well as my computer and mask) and squeezed past their weight requirements if I had a more anal agent checking me in! I have no idea what I'm going to do when I go back to Canada, since it's one hell of a long surface swim across the Atlantic...

Once upon a time, didn't we used to be able to travel with carry on *suitcases*? Isn't that where the term "carry-on sized" originated for those smaller bags? Or is that just some sort of urban legend?

asaara:
What do you guys do when you're travelling on an airline that has an unreasonably low weight limit for carryon?
What I always do --- check just about everthing that I'm not going to use ON the plane. I will carry itinerary info, cash, credit cards, a bathing suit, and my C-card. Everthing else is just excess weight to haul through the airport. If anyone in your party is going to check anything, then you might as well go ahead and check everything -- the wait at the luggage carousel is going to be about the same.

In the worst case, I end up using rental gear.

Before retiring I did lots of traveling, both domestic and international and have had luggage delayed a few times. I've also schlepped through airports every day of the week for 2 weeks on end, with everything in a carryon. I now have the luxury of time and check stuff rather than hauling it.

Truly lost luggage, as in going off the baggage carousel in the sky happens very rarely. In most cases, a delayed bag will show up in 24 hours.
I'll travel comfortably and take my chances. The odds are very much in my favor, and in the worst case, I would just end up using rental gear. Unlike some on SB would have you believe, that isn't the end of the world. :)

Charlie Allen

I try to carry on everything but fins. Nothing worse than losing or having your gear damaged on a dive trip.

I checked my BC, Fins, Masks, weightbelt, etc. and carried on my reg bag (for the "small and easy to steal" reason).

Computer and Regs, everything else goes below.

My brother-in-law took his BC to the Bahamas and they took his BC apart in customs, and I mean took every thing apart. He had a heck of a time getting it back ready for his diving there. Have any of you had this problem?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom