What to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaspider

Reaction score
I'm still consider myself a beginner even though I have a couple of advanced certifications. My dilema is that I'm beginning to buy my equiptment but I dont know what I should purchase first with a limited budget. I have heard many opinons such as getting a wetsuit first to buying regs both coming from the LDS depending who I talk with. I have the essentials (mask , fins, etc.). What should be the next item I purchase?

scubaspider:
I'm still consider myself a beginner even though I have a couple of advanced certifications. My dilema is that I'm beginning to buy my equiptment but I dont know what I should purchase first with a limited budget. I have heard many opinons such as getting a wetsuit first to buying regs both coming from the LDS depending who I talk with. I have the essentials (mask , fins, etc.). What should be the next item I purchase?

That is the best single piece of advice I ever got with regards to Scuba gear.

That was a tough one for me. I'm a complete shop-aholic. I admit it. I love buying stuff. I love doing the research, the reading and reading, the talking to other people, the handling and picking up of new gear, the checking it out, the working the sales person... I love it all. I'm such a chick. But that's a topic for another thread.

I think your exposure suit is the most important first purchase. Obviously depending on where you are, temp wise. In So Cal, gotta have one. Most of us start with the basic 7mm. We can discuss getting the best regulator and gauges you can afford - there is merit there, as its your gas supply, and you MUST own your gas supply.

But for me, if I'm not comfortable, the best regs and gauges won't help relieve my misery (I mean, breathing is important - but you know what I mean.) If it doesn't fit, if I get fatigued just trying to get the thing on, if I get cold water sloshing in and out....

Others will chime in here - but if you're a cold water diver, chances are you'll get a wetsuit before you get a drysuit. And renting beater wetsuits just wasn't my thing.

After exposure, it has to be gas supply.

My $.02

Enjoy the ride. There are a lot of smart people here that can save you from buying the wrong stuff...

K

You know what folks do in a wetsuit, it's a matter of hygien to have your own.

On the other hand ...... It's also nice to know who's mouth that reg's been in, and what the care and maintainance on it have been like. Knowing it's not an old/abused rental spg doesn't hurt either.

The possible negatives with having your own reg, but rental bc's, is that not all inflator connections are the same.(adapters are available) You'd also have to have an inflator hose on your reg ..... they usually come with the bc, so it would be a seperate item purchase. You'd also have to spend money for an octo, since few rental bc's have air2's, and then later when you get a bc, you'd have the octo left over if you liked the convenience of the air2. (or it's differently named equivalent) You'd also have that inflator hose left over, since the bc will come with one.

I think there's more logic in getting a really appropriate wetsuit first, and then getting the reg and bc together, as you negate the need for an octo if you get a bc with the safe second as part of the inflator system and you don't buy 2 inflator hoses.

Hope that helped,

Darlene

Basically you have to decide one thing how much can you afford. For me diving was not an option. I had to dive. However since I am not rich I have to set a limit. Then get what you think is the best for what your $$ limit is.

I decided I needed everything except my own tanks. Then I started reading my azz off.

Work the numbers until you get one of everything and then start the upgrade process. Things I did not skimp on where Reg, BCD and Wetsuit.

The rest I worked until I was almost tired of thinking about it. Then I found a guy that had accounts at all the places I wanted to get gear from. I had him do the ordering for me. I ended up saving money that way.

I went from nothing to the following in 6 weeks:

Zeagle BC- 911
Mares Reg- Proton Ice
Serwood Octo- Mimus
Custom Made 5mm Wetsuit- Local Company
Genises Computer- ReAct PRO Air/Nitrox ready
Atomic Fins- Their new Split-Fins

These were all ordered through my Instrustor/Dealer the savings was amazing, his price vs. mine.

The rest I got on line because LDS or not it was cheaper and I was on a budget:

Cheap Low Volume Mask w/ Snorkle
Lead Weights
Dive Knife
UK HID Light Cannon 100 and back up Q-40
Heavy Duty Plastic Hangers 3 BC, Wetsuit, and the funny one that looks like a fork.
Booties- Harvys
Gloves
Gear Keepers the retractable type- your choice

Not counting the $600 custom made wetsuit, I got everything brand new out of the box for under $2000.00 more like $1500.00

Good luck and have fun...I still am

WW

Mo2vation:
Resist the urge to spend..........

K
It's true.

Go dive and get some experience first. Try out different gear.

I say that as a shop owner who would love to sell you anything your heart desires. But Mot2vation is right.

Todd

Definately try as much gear as you can before you buy. I went out and bought gear right away and it was the biggest mistake I ever made. I quickly found out that the gear I bought was not right for me.

That's the problem, trying new/different equipment. There is only 1 dive shop in the area that rents on specific type of equipment (jacket bc, titan regs.,) But I do agree, I need more diving experience, but does more diving experience also mean experience w/ different types of equipment?

There are always people looking to move up to the latest greatest, often the instructors. They sometimes sell their old gear, which can be a great way to get good stuff at a nice discount. BCs and regs have fairly long lives so buying used that's only a couple of years, could be a real good bet. The trick is to find people who take care of their stuff and you trust. I don't think I would buy a used wet suit, they usually don't last all that long, and there is that hygene issue.

One other advantage of used gear, is it looks broke in. Showing up with nice shiny gear tends to shout "newbie". Kind of like sailors with the top siders that are falling apart, they wouldn't be caught dead in a brand new shiny pair. It won't make you an expert, but at least you don't have to worry about shouting about being new to the sport.

I have to agree though, in cold water, a wet suit is probably the first item, and depending on what you are after could be one of the least expensive items. If you aren't standard size consider getting a custom suit. I did that for my wife and it was well worth the extra $100. I wish I had done it for my wet suit, I learned my lesson and had my dry suit custom fit.

If you plan on getting real serious, you might want to consider holding off and saving your money for a dry suit, it has more range of temperatures than most wet suits. Most people who dive wet seem to have two or three, or even layers to adjust for temperature. Dry suit divers just change the thermals they are wearing. You won't save money in the long run on it, but you won't regret having paid the money for the wet suit when you finally decide to spring for the dry suit.

Keep in mind that if you are diving in PA, you might want to consider a cold water rated air supply, which also will be a bit more expensive. Depending again on how much cold you can tolerate.

After that, I agree with the other thoughts, getting a reg and BC at the same time makes some sense. But if you only have one LDS, chances are the hoses will work just fine. My big item with the BC is if you don't like weight belts that will move the BC up over the regs for priority. I'm one of those that can't stand weight belts (I have the wrong build for them) and went straight to a integrated BC.

One thing you also need to consider getting your regs, is the guages you will need. Most rentals have the guages as part of the rental. Here is again where you can save some money buying used. There is always someone looking to get something new. And computers/guages do have nice long life spans if treated with care. Just have them checked by your LDS to make sure they are still accurate (chances are they will be), or compare them to another known good set.

In cold water a good fitting wet suit would be my number one choice for a first purchase.

Second would be a good used regulator. There has not been much if any real improvement in regs in the last 10 years, so buying a used reg in great shape can be a very good deal and allow you to get a high performance reg for less than you'd pay for a new entry level reg.

Another option is buying a rental reg. A good LDS normally swaps out the rentals every 2-3 years so you can usually get a very good buy on a well maintained entry level reg comlete with gauges or computer. A really good LDS will give you a store warranty for a couple years. Most dives shops pay about 1/2 the retail price for their rental gear and dealer agreements normally allow the shop to sell them as used equipment after 1 or 2 years. Make an offer on a rental reg and the LDS may well take you up on it. Same goes for BC's.

If you buy a used reg, stick with a company that provides long term parts and service support. Scubapro and Aqualung are both very good in that regard.

I agree that exposure protection was a great first purchase. Really got sick of ragged rental wetsuits with unknown previous owners/renters & their unknown hygeine!

One of my mistakes when I first started diving was that I would rent gear, but be so enthralled with the dive, I wouldn't really pay much attention to what gear I was using. I'd be so excited to set it up, throw it on, and jump in to blow some bubbles, I never noticed what brands of regulators I was using, brands/models of BCs, etc. Once I started paying close attention, I was not only enjoying the dives, but I was also enjoying comparing/contrasting different setups.

So, renting gear can be very educational....but you need to pay attention to what you're using!

Jim

Back
Top Bottom