What to buy next -- tank, drysuit, BP/wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get the drysuit!!! You will dive much, much more once you have it. You will also enjoy some of your dives much more, because you'll be warmer, less tired, etc. The advantages to the tank aren't that great, after all, you already have to go to the dive shop once, going a second time shouldn't be that hard. As for the course, since you have someone you can borrow from, go ahead and do that. Maybe borrow the equipment a little early and try it out before the course begins. And, as was pointed out earlier, after you buy the drysuit, you may later be able to get permission to buy the bp as a necessary piece of gear because you took the class.

BTW, have you tried getting your wife to dive? Maybe you could enroll her in an open water class as a "gift" because you want to share diving with her. If she dives, buying gear will get much easier, as long as your willing to buy for her, too!

otter-cat

Make sure the wife gets what she wants, or what she believes is best for the two of you first. You will be surprised how well this will work out. I will make a bet that getting the rest of what you want after that will be a lot easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Later, Hawk.

When my married buddy purchases new gear, he is always telling his wife it's a "saftey issue." New DUI, it's very unsafe to dive cold (DCI, etc), he tells her.

:D

Right now I am leaning towards the BP/wings.

I would characterize myself as a "gradual" diver who likes to ease into new gear and I can't dive every weekend (~25 local dives per year).....since I am signed up for a DIR fundies course in August, I would like to have the spring/summer to get used to the BP/wings.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Large,

Looks to me like you just need to cancel the DIR class. Then you don't need the BP/wings.

You asked for advice, most of these guys said Dry Suit, and you're still BP/wings. I guess if you need the DIR class to be better and safer you won't dive till then anyway.

In the winter, you'll be able to snuggle up in your front seat, a better and safer diver, with your BP/wings while your friends are out diving in their Dry Suits.

Guess I'am feeling synical ,,,,,,, Gotta go work on another garden for my wife.

good luck don O

Go for the Drysuit. I just bought another one myself but I got a hell of a deal.

If you are doing a DIR fund class you will need a drysuit to get maximun benifit of the bouyancy control part of the training.

Ask the GUE instructor to bring along a Wing/BP and rent it as part of the class. That way when Andrew G or whoever teaches the class will not be modifying (read cutting) your gear.

Keep warm.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom