What to buy first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACAS1207

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm considering to begin investing in my own gear. I already have the basics (fins, mask, wetsuit) and was thinking of purchasing some of the more expensive items in one per year. So, between a regulator, BCD, or dive computer what would you purchase first and why?
Anthony

Reg first. Life support always seems a little safer it spends it's off time where I can keep track of it not someone else banging it around.

Actually I would go with a computer. If you are doing a lot of diving on vacations or with random instructors it is handy to know when you are going into deco.

Wrist Computer -> Regulator (DIN) -> BP/W

Agreed. Although he might no like BP/W.

BTW I like your name.

Exposure suit.
BC or BP/W
Regs
Gauges

the K

+1 for Kraken's recommendations.
To me, fit of exposure suit is paramount. There's also the I-don't-wanna-be-in-a-suit-that-some-stranger-has-relieved-himself-in sentiment. You already own a wetsuit, so you've already taken care of that.
Then a reliable, comfortable BCD (used or new).
The reg setup with gauges may be the most expensive. There is also the ongoing maintenance costs of annual servicing.
I'm a gear hound, but the computer is a nifty gadget that is not essential gear.

Have fun shopping...

It's a tough call. I say what ever you can get a good deal on at the time you are ready to spend your money. A proper fitting BC is a good choice. As is a solid performing reg. A dive computer is great if you are doing multi level diving which is what everyone does. I say the wet suit last. If you are doing mostly vacation diving, check out the local shops. Some times you can find great deals on wet suits. Especially if you are at any beach. We go to the beach in Delaware a lot and we got our wet suits at 50% off the first weekend after labor day to get rid of that years old stock and make room for the new stock coming in.

i would say go with reg - bcd - depending on your depth and number of dives would depend on whether or not just gauges or computer

if you need any help with your purchases, give us a call . we have all you need and GREAT prices.

Dive insurance...

Back
Top Bottom