What things in diving give you the willies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't think of anything now that gives me the willies, and there wasn't much when I first started, either. I've always felt very natural and at home in the water. I don't care for low visibility because I'm a photographer and that kills the chance of a good photo pretty much. I love night diving, and I've dived with sharks and other toothsome critters many times. Now that I'm learning to freedive for abalone, there is a little willie effect wondering if I can make it back to the surface, but so far, so good.

Have to say I wasn't pleased when I did a night shore dive in Japan and came across two box jelly fish (not at the same time, but during the dive), especially when I noticed that they would turn and swim towards the light.

The thought of my 1st deep dive seriously intimidated me.

Going in when the boats really pitching and wondering if it will be worse when it's time to climb the ladder.

Losing sight of a greenhorn in poor vis, esp. at sea.

Some individuals in swimsuits - barely in their swimsuits.

Last edited:
Propellers

Fast boats on the surface

I was hit by a very fast fishing boat after coming up in a squall last August following a drift off Delray, FL. Luckily, I ended up with relatively minor injuries that kept me out of the water for only 10 days. It still gives me the "willies" to think of what could have happened. It hasn't kept me from getting in 65 dives since then and planning for many more. I do have a really healthy respect for boats and am always prepared for an emergency descent. I'll never forget this particular dive.

I have loved every dive I had ever made (low vis, OOO, tumbled in the waves on a rocky exit) - until my son got certified. I won't tell him but it makes me nervous sometimes - just knowing that I need to watch him - not so much for him but for me and my peace of mind. What he does not know yet about diving - scares me to no end. But I love sharing the sport with him.

...//... I decide to go back into the hatch and descend to the bottom of the hold. The water is crystal clear, and I figure I can always see the hatch as it will be this bright blue light above me. ...//...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...-3-divers-lost-spiegel-grove.html#post2762519

Never do that again. The above happened to divers associated with one of the two dive shops that I frequent, didn't know them, just aware of the aftermath. I'm sure that the shop won't appreciate me bringing it up, but just don't ever do that again...

Propellers

I have loved every dive I had ever made (low vis, OOO, tumbled in the waves on a rocky exit) - until my son got certified. I won't tell him but it makes me nervous sometimes - just knowing that I need to watch him - not so much for him but for me and my peace of mind. What he does not know yet about diving - scares me to no end. But I love sharing the sport with him.

I felt the same way diving with my son and then my daughter and wife after they were first certified. I've been diving with my son for 16 years now and my daughter and wife for 12 years. It doesn't make me very nervous any more, they're all excellent divers, but I do still think aboout it. My son is my absolute favorite buddy, we're extremely well matched underwater

I'm a newer diver. Have only dove Cozumel. Our DM made me hold this spidery looking crab or shrimp thing. Those long legs freaked me out. Other than that, nothing has worried me until reading this thread. I am doing a night dive in June in Coz, so that has me a little worried

Bring on the Sharks

Chilidog

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom