What Thickness Wetsuit Do My Fellow Texans Wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear a 4/3 in the summer. (I add a rash guard, and a neoprene beanie if I'm going coffin hunting at CSSP, it's cold down there!)
In the winter, spring, and fall, I wear my 7mm, 5/3 hood, and 3mm gloves. If water temp is going to be in the 40's, I add a 7mm hooded vest, and wear my 7mm gloves.

Rhonda

I think you'll be happy with your choice for a 5mm. I live in San Antonio and usually dive Lake Medina just west of town. I dive witha 3mm and wish I would have purchased a 5mm. Medina has some nasty thermoclines so if I plan on going deeper than 40 feet I'm throwing on the 3mm hooded vest and even then I can't stay below the second thermocline (60-70 ft) for very long.
Welcome to the board and have fun diving in central Texas.

Hey there,
Well, after buying about ten suits you get cranky. :D

Hoods are a major pain; I tend to had jaw pain and sizing problems.
Mares 3 and 5mm work well, and DUI hoods fit well.
My favorite to date is a 3mm Mares. Just bought a Neoprene cap and that was great in Cozumel. Frank has to be the neoprene master! :rofl3:

Later, Andrew

What CrazyDuck said.
CrazyDuck listed the reasons for why we select what we select. I am not sure I can improve upon his analysis.

Andrew, I didn't realize you were so particular / sensitive about your wet suit requirements; what with the socks and surf shirt and all. It's all good. For what it's worth, I have an odd shaped, big head. It's tough for me to find a full hood that fits me comfortably. I purchased the largest full size hood that BARE makes; and even then I don't zip it up on the back side. That's the best fit that I have been able to find.

My pleasure to help out.

You don't get cold immediately in wetsuits its just over time you start to feel the cold creeping in. It goes back to the difference in how water cools the body as it passes over it verses air. This is wear things like surf shirts and hooded vests help.
While submerged your ok. You step out and the wind hits that wet material and the combination on the pressure release from the water on your body (bladder) and suddenly your shivering and have to take leak. Don't be afraid to pee in your wetsuit, its natural. if you do; drop your gear at the car and take the suit off in the water. Rinse well. Stink cleaners work well. The little things makes diving fun and comfortable.

I would recommend Fleece for after the dive if you get cold and a fleece hat. We use the thick cheap stuff. Cheapest to date is Old Navy. If the wind is hollowing add a jogging suit over the fleece.

Enjoy...
Andrew

Woaw, thanks so much guys! I totally wasn't expecting such an awesome amount of responses. Double thanks to you, CrazyDuck, that was the best explanation I've read yet! I didn't know scuba socks even existed! I'll definitely be checking out scubatoys...

I think I'll go with a Mares 5mm for now, since I do tend to get cold easily, and can always wear a rash guard in the summer...must...not...go...bankrupt...

PS: okiejeff, I can confirm Hippy Hallow...LOL!!! :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom